DICOM Age String for mummy - DICOM

This is a discussion on DICOM Age String for mummy - DICOM ; I have had a request to store a DICOM AS for a mummy. Of course the age would be something like: "3000Y" which does not works with the current definition of the AS VR. Another solution could be to add ...

  1. DICOM Age String for mummy

    I have had a request to store a DICOM AS for a mummy. Of course the age
    would be something like: "3000Y" which does not works with the current
    definition of the AS VR.
    Another solution could be to add 'C' for century for the format, and I
    could solve my issue with "030C"

    Any suggestion ?
    Thanks
    Mathieu

  2. Re: DICOM Age String for mummy

    Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    > I have had a request to store a DICOM AS for a mummy. Of course the age
    > would be something like: "3000Y" which does not works with the current
    > definition of the AS VR.
    > Another solution could be to add 'C' for century for the format, and I
    > could solve my issue with "030C"
    >
    > Any suggestion ?
    > Thanks
    > Mathieu

    Good question, we have a customer (a universitary lab) that uses our
    extremity MR scanner for analyzing geological cores and samples, I
    wonder what they put in the Date of Birth...

    I do not think our User's Interface allows to input things like 100,000
    BC; fortunately (for me) as far as I know they did not buy the DICOM
    option :-)

    Luigi P.B.
    Esaote S.p.A. - Genova - Italy

  3. Re: DICOM Age String for mummy

    Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    > I have had a request to store a DICOM AS for a mummy. Of course the age
    > would be something like: "3000Y" which does not works with the current
    > definition of the AS VR.

    Probabely the guy wasn't 3000Y old when he died.
    What about improving the DA VR, alowing it to start by BC?
    Jean-Pierre Roux

    > Another solution could be to add 'C' for century for the format, and I
    > could solve my issue with "030C"
    >
    > Any suggestion ?
    > Thanks
    > Mathieu

  4. Re: DICOM Age String for mummy

    Jean-Pierre Roux wrote:
    > Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    > > I have had a request to store a DICOM AS for a mummy. Of course the age
    > > would be something like: "3000Y" which does not works with the current
    > > definition of the AS VR.

    > Probabely the guy wasn't 3000Y old when he died.
    > What about improving the DA VR, alowing it to start by BC?
    > Jean-Pierre Roux
    >
    > > Another solution could be to add 'C' for century for the format, and I
    > > could solve my issue with "030C"
    > >
    > > Any suggestion ?
    > > Thanks
    > > Mathieu

    Should there be (or is there already?) a set of tables defined in P.S.
    3.16 that define a framework for creating SRs that address this issue?

    Razvan

  5. Re: DICOM Age String for mummy

    Razvan Costea-Barlutiu wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Roux wrote:
    > > Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    > > > I have had a request to store a DICOM AS for a mummy. Of course the age
    > > > would be something like: "3000Y" which does not works with the current
    > > > definition of the AS VR.

    > > Probabely the guy wasn't 3000Y old when he died.
    > > What about improving the DA VR, alowing it to start by BC?
    > > Jean-Pierre Roux
    > >
    > > > Another solution could be to add 'C' for century for the format, and I
    > > > could solve my issue with "030C"
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestion ?
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Mathieu
    > > >

    > Should there be (or is there already?) a set of tables defined in P.S.
    > 3.16 that define a framework for creating SRs that address this issue?

    All I can find is :
    Page 483:
    CID 7456 Units of Measure for Age Context ID 7456 Units of Measure for
    Age
    But Code Meaning can only take the following values:

    year month week day hour minute

    Anyway thanks a lot for the reference !
    Mathieu

+ Reply to Thread