StudyID, SeriesNumber, InstanceNumber - DICOM

This is a discussion on StudyID, SeriesNumber, InstanceNumber - DICOM ; Hi I've some questions about the following 6 tags: (0020,000d) StudyInstanceUID (0020,000e) SeriesInstanceUID (0008,0018) SOPInstanceUID (0020,0010) StudyID (0020,0011) SeriesNumber (0020,0013) InstanceNumber I'm implementing a Secondary Capture Image Storage SCU, that encapsulates jpg's. How do I have to define StudyID, SeriesNumber ...

  1. StudyID, SeriesNumber, InstanceNumber

    Hi

    I've some questions about the following 6 tags:
    (0020,000d) StudyInstanceUID
    (0020,000e) SeriesInstanceUID
    (0008,0018) SOPInstanceUID
    (0020,0010) StudyID
    (0020,0011) SeriesNumber
    (0020,0013) InstanceNumber

    I'm implementing a Secondary Capture Image Storage SCU, that
    encapsulates jpg's. How do I have to define StudyID, SeriesNumber and
    InstanceNumber. Can I leave them blank?
    If I understand it right, the only unique identifiaction for
    a study is the StudyInstanceUID
    a series is the SeriesInstanceUID
    a dicom dataset is the SOPInstanceUID.

    Must a StudyInstanceUID contain the StudyID?
    Must a SeriesInstanceUID contain the StudyID and the SeriesNumber?
    Must a SOPInstanceUID contain the StudyID, the SeriesNumber and the
    InstanceNumber?
    If yes, what is the idea behind that.

    Peter

  2. Re: StudyID, SeriesNumber, InstanceNumber

    Hello Peter!

    The Dicom Attributes are the basic constructs of any DICOM Information
    Object Definition.
    The usage of these tags is governed, at a higher level, by Dicom PS
    3.3, Information Object Definitions. This part of the standard
    describes how the attributes should be used in "modules", or groups or
    attributes.

    The presence of an attribute inside a module can be
    * mandatory (Type 1),
    * mandatory if other conditions are met (Type 1C),
    * mandatory, but can be empty (Type 2)
    * if present can be empty, if other conditions are met (Type 2C). If
    the conditions are not met, the type 2C elements will NOT be present in
    the dataset.
    * optional and if present, can be empty (Type 3).
    You will find a broader description of these codes in P.S. 3.5, section
    7.4.

    To answer your questions, the Study ID, Series number and Instance
    Number are all type 2 attributes which means that your SC creator
    should throw into the dataset these attributes, leaving them empty.

    Finally:
    > Must a StudyInstanceUID contain the StudyID?
    > Must a SeriesInstanceUID contain the StudyID and the SeriesNumber?
    > Must a SOPInstanceUID contain the StudyID, the SeriesNumber and the
    > InstanceNumber?
    > If yes, what is the idea behind that.

    No. no. no. None of the above. The UIDs are uids and they are not
    supposed to contain any semantic in their contents, like you describe.
    But this doesn't mean that vendors will not use such values to
    construct UIDs. Generating the UIDs is not a standardized issue and
    each is free to choose its algorithms. There are broad discussions on
    the UID generation issue in this newsgroup.

    I would recommend using the latest version of the standard, now
    reaching 2006.

    HTH,
    Razvan

    pefe wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've some questions about the following 6 tags:
    > (0020,000d) StudyInstanceUID
    > (0020,000e) SeriesInstanceUID
    > (0008,0018) SOPInstanceUID
    > (0020,0010) StudyID
    > (0020,0011) SeriesNumber
    > (0020,0013) InstanceNumber
    >
    > I'm implementing a Secondary Capture Image Storage SCU, that
    > encapsulates jpg's. How do I have to define StudyID, SeriesNumber and
    > InstanceNumber. Can I leave them blank?
    > If I understand it right, the only unique identifiaction for
    > a study is the StudyInstanceUID
    > a series is the SeriesInstanceUID
    > a dicom dataset is the SOPInstanceUID.
    >
    > Must a StudyInstanceUID contain the StudyID?
    > Must a SeriesInstanceUID contain the StudyID and the SeriesNumber?
    > Must a SOPInstanceUID contain the StudyID, the SeriesNumber and the
    > InstanceNumber?
    > If yes, what is the idea behind that.
    >
    > Peter

  3. Re: StudyID, SeriesNumber, InstanceNumber

    Hi Razvan,

    Thanks a lot for your answer.

    In short that means:
    StudyInstanceUID, SeriesInstanceUID, SOPInstanceUID must be UID's.
    StudyID, SeriesNumber, InstanceNumber must be present but can be void.

    With the UID's I was unsettled because I've seen a lot of examples with
    StudyID, SeriesNumber, InstanceNumber in it.

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread