Conformance statement example for bmp to dcm file conversion - DICOM

This is a discussion on Conformance statement example for bmp to dcm file conversion - DICOM ; I have been asked to create a DICOM conformance statement for a program that I created to convert company data-sets (series of bmp files) to a DICOM dcm file dataset. No TCP/IP is involved, only a one way translation from ...

  1. Conformance statement example for bmp to dcm file conversion

    I have been asked to create a DICOM conformance statement for a program that
    I created to convert company data-sets (series of bmp files) to a DICOM dcm
    file dataset.

    No TCP/IP is involved, only a one way translation from bmp to CT-Image dcm
    files locally on a computer, so it would be nice to have an example
    conformance statement that does this?

    I have a hard time to interpret the PS3.2 documentation to make it ready for
    my program.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Conformance statement example for bmp to dcm file conversion

    olaf.baeyens@skyscan.be wrote:
    > I have been asked to create a DICOM conformance statement for a program that
    > I created to convert company data-sets (series of bmp files) to a DICOM dcm
    > file dataset.
    >
    > No TCP/IP is involved, only a one way translation from bmp to CT-Image dcm
    > files locally on a computer, so it would be nice to have an example
    > conformance statement that does this?
    >

    > I have a hard time to interpret the PS3.2 documentation to make it ready for
    > my program.
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated.

    While a conformance statment documents the network interfaces, it also
    documents the objects produced and data elements populated within the
    device/program. The output can be DICOM standard compliant files.
    Rather than focusing on the output interfaces, first focus on the
    documented the type and content of the objects you're producing.

    Document in DICOM technical terms exactly what your program does, and
    what, if any external interfaces it uses to get the data for the DICOM
    attributes. You indicate you generate CT-Image dcm files from BMP
    files. While the content of the image pixel data may be computed
    tomography, I'm doubtful that you're actually producing compliant CT
    SOP class data because you most likely lack access to the device
    specific required data elements for CT data.

    You need to document the SOP Cass of the data you're producing
    (Secondary Capture is probably the most appropriate) and the data
    elements you populate. For each data element, briefly describe whether
    your program populates the attribute value, and what is the source of
    the input (e.g. user entered value, modality worklist interface, BMP
    image header descriptor, etc). Most conformance statements have a table
    with this in it. Use one of them as an example. After you've populated
    the table, you can work from other examples cut away or expand the
    portions describing how the program "behaves" to to external interfaces

  3. Re: Conformance statement example for bmp to dcm file conversion

    > You need to document the SOP Cass of the data you're producing
    > (Secondary Capture is probably the most appropriate) and the data
    > elements you populate. For each data element, briefly describe whether
    > your program populates the attribute value, and what is the source of
    > the input (e.g. user entered value, modality worklist interface, BMP
    > image header descriptor, etc). Most conformance statements have a table
    > with this in it. Use one of them as an example. After you've populated
    > the table, you can work from other examples cut away or expand the
    > portions describing how the program "behaves" to to external interfaces

    Except for the bmp file we also have additional information from a log file
    that is used by the CT-Image so the end result will be conform to the DICOM
    standard but captured in a dcm file.

    Thanks for the response, I will try it again. :-)

  4. Re: Conformance statement example for bmp to dcm file conversion

    > > You need to document the SOP Cass of the data you're producing
    > > (Secondary Capture is probably the most appropriate) and the data
    > > elements you populate. For each data element, briefly describe whether
    > > your program populates the attribute value, and what is the source of
    > > the input (e.g. user entered value, modality worklist interface, BMP
    > > image header descriptor, etc). Most conformance statements have a table
    > > with this in it. Use one of them as an example. After you've populated
    > > the table, you can work from other examples cut away or expand the
    > > portions describing how the program "behaves" to to external interfaces

    I still have a hard time to understand what is expected from a DICOM
    conformance statement in my case (it is my first one)

    The examples I see assume that the source is a DICOM format, so the SOP of
    the source DICOM stream is defined, but I do not see anything explaining
    about the generated DICOM SOP.

    I have a big problem mapping the DICOM specific wording like to my real
    world situation. Words like "number of simultaneous associations" are
    roughly translated to the number of time I can start up my program
    executable. It is probably a steep learning curve?

    I did find the PS 3.2 2006 version it seems to be much better documented
    compared to the 2003 version, so I am now going to dig into that convention,
    maybe it makes more sense.

    But if someone can help me in explaining how the title structure would look
    like if you have an application that loads a bmp and converts to a CT-Image
    dcm file? Or give a link to such a conformance statement then it would be
    really appreciated! :-)

    Many thanks for the feed-back

+ Reply to Thread