Series description different in the same series? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Series description different in the same series? - DICOM ; Hi all, We are receiving images from a CT scanner that sends us a series with over 80 images. The first image of the series has the Series Description (0008,103e) "Reformatted", while the rest of the images show MIP. Is ...

  1. Series description different in the same series?

    Hi all,

    We are receiving images from a CT scanner that sends us a series with
    over 80 images. The first image of the series has the Series
    Description (0008,103e) "Reformatted", while the rest of the images
    show MIP.

    Is this valid? We looked in the DICOM standard and couldn't find
    anywhere where it says whether the Series Description should be the
    same for all images within the same series.

    I would have thought that all images within the same series have the
    same Series Description, as they would have the same Series Instance
    UID.

    Thanks,

    -Anibal

  2. Re: Series description different in the same series?

    Anibal Jodorcovsky wrote:

    > We are receiving images from a CT scanner that sends us a series with
    > over 80 images. The first image of the series has the Series
    > Description (0008,103e) "Reformatted", while the rest of the images
    > show MIP.
    >
    > Is this valid? We looked in the DICOM standard and couldn't find
    > anywhere where it says whether the Series Description should be the
    > same for all images within the same series.

    No, it is illegal.

    > I would have thought that all images within the same series have the
    > same Series Description, as they would have the same Series Instance
    > UID.

    That is correct ... all attributes at a particular level of the
    information model should be the same for every instance with the same
    UID at that level.

    Having said that, one needs to be prepared for when this rule is
    violated, e.g., should one replace what is in the database table at the
    level when new instances arises with different values or just ignore
    the "new" value ? Should one treat it as a different entity even though
    the UID is the same ? Implementations vary.

    David

+ Reply to Thread