How to get pixel data from remote System - DICOM

This is a discussion on How to get pixel data from remote System - DICOM ; Hi, According to my thinking,Through C_MOVE we get image from remote system.Transfering image through network is time taking and waste of limited band width.If it is possible to get header information like image width ,height,pixel data...........like that so we can ...

  1. How to get pixel data from remote System

    Hi,
    According to my thinking,Through C_MOVE we get image from remote
    system.Transfering image through network is time taking and waste of
    limited band width.If it is possible to get header information like
    image width ,height,pixel data...........like that so we can make image
    according to information on local system.I think transfering the header
    information will use very less time and band width .
    have any idea !

    Regards
    Neeraj Kumar

  2. Re: How to get pixel data from remote System

    Hello Neeraj,

    Please check JPIP and JPEG 2000. This is called progressive
    transmission of Medical Images. There are tens and hundreds of vendors
    around the world are using this technology for Teleradiology
    (transmission of DICOM Images over a very thin pipe line as low as 256
    ADSL Internet).

    With Regards
    Rady,

    For more information of Teleradiology and Progressive t
    Neeraj wrote:
    > Hi,
    > According to my thinking,Through C_MOVE we get image from remote
    > system.Transfering image through network is time taking and waste of
    > limited band width.If it is possible to get header information like
    > image width ,height,pixel data...........like that so we can make image
    > according to information on local system.I think transfering the header
    > information will use very less time and band width .
    > have any idea !
    >
    > Regards
    > Neeraj Kumar

  3. Re: How to get pixel data from remote System

    Hello Neeraj,

    To get an idea of Teleradiology, please do visit this site for quick
    dip in Telerad and its features
    http://www.cimarview.com/html/products.html.

    with regards
    Rady.

    Rady wrote:
    > Hello Neeraj,
    >
    > Please check JPIP and JPEG 2000. This is called progressive
    > transmission of Medical Images. There are tens and hundreds of vendors
    > around the world are using this technology for Teleradiology
    > (transmission of DICOM Images over a very thin pipe line as low as 256
    > ADSL Internet).
    >
    > With Regards
    > Rady,
    >
    > For more information of Teleradiology and Progressive t
    > Neeraj wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > According to my thinking,Through C_MOVE we get image from remote
    > > system.Transfering image through network is time taking and waste of
    > > limited band width.If it is possible to get header information like
    > > image width ,height,pixel data...........like that so we can make image
    > > according to information on local system.I think transfering the header
    > > information will use very less time and band width .
    > > have any idea !
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Neeraj Kumar

  4. Re: How to get pixel data from remote System

    Hello Rady
    I think some misunderstanding is here,Your information is realy good
    for me.But i just want to know that it's possible or not that only
    header information should transmit through network not image.suppose it
    is possible to transmit header info like image width,height,sample per
    pixel,modality,pixel data........like that then no need to transmit
    image through net.

    regards
    Neeraj Kumar

    Rady wrote:
    > Hello Neeraj,
    >
    > To get an idea of Teleradiology, please do visit this site for quick
    > dip in Telerad and its features
    > http://www.cimarview.com/html/products.html.
    >
    > with regards
    > Rady.
    >
    > Rady wrote:
    > > Hello Neeraj,
    > >
    > > Please check JPIP and JPEG 2000. This is called progressive
    > > transmission of Medical Images. There are tens and hundreds of vendors
    > > around the world are using this technology for Teleradiology
    > > (transmission of DICOM Images over a very thin pipe line as low as 256
    > > ADSL Internet).
    > >
    > > With Regards
    > > Rady,
    > >
    > > For more information of Teleradiology and Progressive t
    > > Neeraj wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > > According to my thinking,Through C_MOVE we get image from remote
    > > > system.Transfering image through network is time taking and waste of
    > > > limited band width.If it is possible to get header information like
    > > > image width ,height,pixel data...........like that so we can make image
    > > > according to information on local system.I think transfering the header
    > > > information will use very less time and band width .
    > > > have any idea !
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > > Neeraj Kumar

  5. Re: How to get pixel data from remote System

    Neeraj wrote:
    > Hello Rady
    > I think some misunderstanding is here,Your information is realy good
    > for me.But i just want to know that it's possible or not that only
    > header information should transmit through network not image.suppose it
    > is possible to transmit header info like image width,height,sample per
    > pixel,modality,pixel data........like that then no need to transmit
    > image through net.

    Hi Neeraj

    I'm going to have to look for it but last year there was a CP or
    supplement in WG6 to provide exactly what you're looking for: an option
    to use C-MOVE to request that the SCP/Store SCU send just the matching
    DICOM objects header information, sans pixel data, in the C-Store
    requests. Using this mode of retrieval, you would have all the data you
    needed to layout and arrange the images in an UI, but then use a more
    efficient mode of transmission to actually get the pixel data (e.g. use
    WADO or some image streaming protocol).

    The JPIP extension to DICOM standard works similarly except the image
    streaming interface is built into the objects: the C-MOVE SCP/C-STORE
    SCU sends the DICOM objects with their complete headers to the C-Store
    SCP, but instead of actual pixel data, the object contains a data
    element with a JPIP protocol URL. The Store SCP receiving these
    objects can read all the metadata describing how big the image is, what
    type of data, imaging mode, etc. , make whatever display layout choices
    one makes with this information, and then inovke the JPIP stream to
    receive the pixel data. The JPIP protocol invocation includes a
    separate "navigation channel" which the invoking application can use to
    receive as much or as little of the actual pixel data as it needs, when
    it needs it.

    The same thing is possible with Wado and the header only transfers, but
    you get all the benefit of the JPEG2000 hiearchical/progressive wavelet
    compression scheme with JPIP.

  6. Re: How to get pixel data from remote System

    Hi Eric,

    I agree with you that JPIP has tremendous advantages over WADO,
    especially when transfering large images.
    But I am uncertain on how would you transfer header-only data using
    Wado alone?

    My understanding is that when one makes a text/* content-type request
    for a dicom image, the server should supply a base-64 encoding of the
    pixel data.
    Is this inaccurate?

    What other WADO method would there be to extract the header-only?

    Thank you,
    Razvan

    eric.goodall@gmail.com wrote:
    > Neeraj wrote:
    > > Hello Rady
    > > I think some misunderstanding is here,Your information is realy good
    > > for me.But i just want to know that it's possible or not that only
    > > header information should transmit through network not image.suppose it
    > > is possible to transmit header info like image width,height,sample per
    > > pixel,modality,pixel data........like that then no need to transmit
    > > image through net.

    > Hi Neeraj
    >
    > I'm going to have to look for it but last year there was a CP or
    > supplement in WG6 to provide exactly what you're looking for: an option
    > to use C-MOVE to request that the SCP/Store SCU send just the matching
    > DICOM objects header information, sans pixel data, in the C-Store
    > requests. Using this mode of retrieval, you would have all the data you
    > needed to layout and arrange the images in an UI, but then use a more
    > efficient mode of transmission to actually get the pixel data (e.g. use
    > WADO or some image streaming protocol).
    >
    > The JPIP extension to DICOM standard works similarly except the image
    > streaming interface is built into the objects: the C-MOVE SCP/C-STORE
    > SCU sends the DICOM objects with their complete headers to the C-Store
    > SCP, but instead of actual pixel data, the object contains a data
    > element with a JPIP protocol URL. The Store SCP receiving these
    > objects can read all the metadata describing how big the image is, what
    > type of data, imaging mode, etc. , make whatever display layout choices
    > one makes with this information, and then inovke the JPIP stream to
    > receive the pixel data. The JPIP protocol invocation includes a
    > separate "navigation channel" which the invoking application can use to
    > receive as much or as little of the actual pixel data as it needs, when
    > it needs it.
    >
    > The same thing is possible with Wado and the header only transfers, but
    > you get all the benefit of the JPEG2000 hiearchical/progressive wavelet
    > compression scheme with JPIP.

  7. Re: How to get pixel data from remote System

    Razvan Costea-Barlutiu wrote:
    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > I agree with you that JPIP has tremendous advantages over WADO,
    > especially when transfering large images.
    > But I am uncertain on how would you transfer header-only data using
    > Wado alone?
    >
    > My understanding is that when one makes a text/* content-type request
    > for a dicom image, the server should supply a base-64 encoding of the
    > pixel data.
    > Is this inaccurate?
    >
    > What other WADO method would there be to extract the header-only?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Razvan

    I was hoping Dave Clunie would inject some comments on this topic. I'm
    pretty sure he was the one proposing a CP last year providing a
    mechanism where the pixel data would be omitted from the image IOD on a
    transfer from the Q/R SCP -- i.e. it is the same as the JPIP encoded
    object, except there's not even a JPIP URL.

    The requesting AE would receive the DICOM headers of the objects, sans
    pixel data via C-Store. It still has all the overhead of one C-STORE
    per object (and so will still have network latency/transfer speed
    limitations) but would provide a documented means within DICOM for
    obtaining the data needed to retrieve data using WADO. I think I
    recall the mechanism was a new transfer syntax but could be all wet.

    With this information you could THEN use the information in the DICOM
    header (eg. UIDs, image rows/columns, etc) to both set up a display
    region and do a retrieval of the pixel data using some external means
    such as WADO with downsampling and conversion to JPEG.

    So, to be clear, I was not saying you could request only the header
    data through WADO, (although that is probably not a bad idea to have as
    a WADO transform); but was instead describing a means query the
    information needed to set up and use a WADO for image pixel data
    retrieval.

    Unfortunately, it is easy to lose track of CPs and their titles often
    do not reflect some of the more significant functionality they
    introduce. I've scanned through the list of CPs and Supplements and
    unable to locate the specific CP I recalled from the WG6 meeting. Maybe
    somebody with better memory or records can post

+ Reply to Thread