Dicom Image Header and Patient Radiation Dose - DICOM

This is a discussion on Dicom Image Header and Patient Radiation Dose - DICOM ; I am writing a paper for a graduate school project regarding capturing the radiation dose to the patient. I understand that the DICOM image object contains that information. I am wondering if the group thinks that one day it will ...

  1. Dicom Image Header and Patient Radiation Dose

    I am writing a paper for a graduate school project regarding capturing
    the radiation dose to the patient. I understand that the DICOM image
    object contains that information. I am wondering if the group thinks
    that one day it will become mandatory to archive and track patient
    exposure. I have heard that this is already done in Europe and would
    like to learn more about this requirement and if the group thinks that
    this will one day be mandated in the United States?

    I would like to know the following:

    Is patient radiation dose recorded in all modalities in the Image
    Header section?

    Is a cummulative patient dose incremented in the PACS system or the RIS
    system?

    Are there plans to one day warehouse this data into the Personal Health
    Record, the Electronic Patient Record, or the Enterprise Patient
    Record?

    Is the intent that this data remain inside the RIS or modality or is
    this data sent to the PACS system?

    Any other information would be helpful.

    Thank you,
    John Colang
    Midwestern State University
    Masters of Science in Radiologic Technology Program

  2. Re: Dicom Image Header and Patient Radiation Dose

    jcolang@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am writing a paper for a graduate school project regarding capturing
    > the radiation dose to the patient. I understand that the DICOM image
    > object contains that information. I am wondering if the group thinks
    > that one day it will become mandatory to archive and track patient
    > exposure. I have heard that this is already done in Europe and would
    > like to learn more about this requirement and if the group thinks that
    > this will one day be mandated in the United States?
    >
    > I would like to know the following:
    >
    > Is patient radiation dose recorded in all modalities in the Image
    > Header section?
    >
    > Is a cummulative patient dose incremented in the PACS system or the RIS
    > system?
    >
    > Are there plans to one day warehouse this data into the Personal Health
    > Record, the Electronic Patient Record, or the Enterprise Patient
    > Record?
    >
    > Is the intent that this data remain inside the RIS or modality or is
    > this data sent to the PACS system?
    >
    > Any other information would be helpful.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > John Colang
    > Midwestern State University
    > Masters of Science in Radiologic Technology Program

    John,

    Registration of patient dose is a requirement in several European
    countries. This info is often kept "out-of-bound" and/or through manual
    entry in some type of a tracking system. I have seen sevral RIS systems
    that allow for the storage of this information. As a matter of fact, in
    Europe, most RFP's nowadays make the registration of dose and MPPS
    support (modality Performed Procedure Step, which excahnges this info
    from the modality)vmandatory. There is even a new dedicated DICOM
    Structured Report that gives even more information (Radiation dose
    report). You can find all details in the DICOM standard (if you are not
    familar with DICOM, "DICOM basics" from
    http://www.otechimg.com/productDetails.cfm?id=B-105 is a good help).

    I don't know whether this ever will become a requirement in the US, in
    general there seems to be much less emphasis in the US than in many
    other places of the world on being somewhat conservative with regard to
    the amount of radiation that people are exposed to. One example of that
    is the increase in multislice CT's without to many people worrying
    about defining proper protocols and guidelines on how to use these with
    minimum exposure.

    I suggest you write an excellent paper and submit this to one of the
    trade journals, maybe some more people will start waking up here in the
    US.

    Herman O.

  3. Re: Dicom Image Header and Patient Radiation Dose

    Herman,

    Thank you for the comprehensive response. I absolutely intend to write
    this paper and hopefully get it published in a peer-reviewed journal to
    open up the debate here in the United States. Thanks very much for the
    helpful information.

    Please post any information that you may think could turn out to be
    helpful and I'll keep an eye on the list!

    Thanks again sir!
    John Colang
    New Mexico

+ Reply to Thread