Enhanced CT / MR Stacks do not imply a volume? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Enhanced CT / MR Stacks do not imply a volume? - DICOM ; I'm doing some work with the Enhanced CT / Enhanced MR IODs, particularly around the organization of data for advanced visualization applications. I've looked the DICOM standard, example datasets and various presentations, and it appears that frames being part of ...

  1. Enhanced CT / MR Stacks do not imply a volume?

    I'm doing some work with the Enhanced CT / Enhanced MR IODs,
    particularly around the organization of data for advanced
    visualization applications.

    I've looked the DICOM standard, example datasets and various
    presentations, and it appears that frames being part of a stack is no
    guarantee that they constitute either a single volume or a set of
    volumes with the same geometry.

    For my purposes, all frames in a volume must have the same values for
    "Image Orientation (Patient)" and "Pixel Spacing" and have the "Image
    Position (Patient)" values all be points on a single line. If a stack
    contains multiple frames with the same in-stack position, identical
    geometry is required (PS 3.3 - 2008 Page 360).

    All of the examples I can find have this property but this does not
    appear to be backed up by a requirement in the DICOM standard.

    Is there something I've missed or is this the case?

    Regards,

    Jonathan Whitby

  2. Re: Enhanced CT / MR Stacks do not imply a volume?

    On Jul 11, 12:41*pm, jcwhi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm doing some work with the Enhanced CT / Enhanced MR IODs,
    > particularly around the organization of data for advanced
    > visualization applications.
    >
    > I've looked the DICOM standard, example datasets and various
    > presentations, and it appears that frames being part of a stack is no
    > guarantee that they constitute either a single volume or a set of
    > volumes with the same geometry.
    >
    > For my purposes, all frames in a volume must have the same values for
    > "Image Orientation (Patient)" and "Pixel Spacing" and have the "Image
    > Position (Patient)" values all be points on a single line. If a stack
    > contains multiple frames with the same in-stack position, identical
    > geometry is required (PS 3.3 - 2008 Page 360).
    >
    > All of the examples I can find have this property but this does not
    > appear to be backed up by a requirement in the DICOM standard.

    Indeed:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....76d5f94c8e13f8

    I have been wanting to create such Enhanced MR Image data (create from
    MR Image Storage SCOUT images), but never got time to do it.

    -Mathieu

+ Reply to Thread