Open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image - DICOM

This is a discussion on Open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image - DICOM ; Hi I am trying to open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image.Which Tag information shows that this is a 8 bit image.Its transfer syntex is "1.2.840.10008.1.2.1" ,Samples Per Pixel=3, I am little confuse that 8bit allocation means" 8-bit for red,8-bit ...

  1. Open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image

    Hi
    I am trying to open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image.Which Tag
    information shows that
    this is a 8 bit image.Its transfer syntex is "1.2.840.10008.1.2.1"
    ,Samples Per Pixel=3,
    I am little confuse that 8bit allocation means" 8-bit for red,8-bit
    fro green,8-bit for blue"
    Or 3 bit for red,3bit for green ,2 bit for blue. please gide me how to
    proceed to open this type of image. What Tag information needed for
    open this image.

  2. Re: Open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image

    Hello Neeraj,

    Neeraj wrote:

    > this is a 8 bit image.Its transfer syntex is "1.2.840.10008.1.2.1"
    > ,Samples Per Pixel=3,

    There you go: 8 bit allocated = 1 Byte per pixel, *but* 3 Samples per
    pixel: 1 "Overlay" red, one green, one blue ...

    HTH,

    Peter

  3. Re: Open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image

    Can your tell me wat is the photometric interpretation... just for my
    own info...
    Thanks

    Neeraj wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am trying to open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image.Which Tag
    > information shows that
    > this is a 8 bit image.Its transfer syntex is "1.2.840.10008.1.2.1"
    > ,Samples Per Pixel=3,
    > I am little confuse that 8bit allocation means" 8-bit for red,8-bit
    > fro green,8-bit for blue"
    > Or 3 bit for red,3bit for green ,2 bit for blue. please gide me how to
    > proceed to open this type of image. What Tag information needed for
    > open this image.

  4. Re: Open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image

    Its photometric interpretation =RGB

    yogi wrote:
    > Can your tell me wat is the photometric interpretation... just for my
    > own info...
    > Thanks
    >
    > Neeraj wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > I am trying to open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image.Which Tag
    > > information shows that
    > > this is a 8 bit image.Its transfer syntex is "1.2.840.10008.1.2.1"
    > > ,Samples Per Pixel=3,
    > > I am little confuse that 8bit allocation means" 8-bit for red,8-bit
    > > fro green,8-bit for blue"
    > > Or 3 bit for red,3bit for green ,2 bit for blue. please gide me how to
    > > proceed to open this type of image. What Tag information needed for
    > > open this image.

  5. Re: Open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image

    Neeraj wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am trying to open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image.Which Tag
    > information shows that
    > this is a 8 bit image.Its transfer syntex is "1.2.840.10008.1.2.1"
    > ,Samples Per Pixel=3,
    > I am little confuse that 8bit allocation means" 8-bit for red,8-bit
    > fro green,8-bit for blue"
    > Or 3 bit for red,3bit for green ,2 bit for blue. please gide me how to
    > proceed to open this type of image. What Tag information needed for
    > open this image.

    Your juxtapositioning of the transfer syntax and samples per pixel=3 in
    the same sentence could possibly be interpreted as indicating you
    somehow think the transfer syntax conveys some parsing of multiple
    samples per pixel. When using JPEG compression of RGB color images, the
    logic to set up the JPEG compression would likely use the DICOM Tag
    (0028,0002) - samples per pixel to set up the correct JPEG header
    markers (since the JPEG alogrithm is normally setup to compress the R,
    G, and B components of a color image as if each component was a
    separate greyscale 8-bit image).
    However - the transfer syntax you cite is not a JPEG compression
    transfer syntax. Instead it is Explict VR Little Endian (as you
    stated); but your citation of a transfer syntax is irrelevant to the
    discussion of the pixel encoding.
    What you need to look at are
    (0028,0100) - Bits Allocated
    (0028,0101) - Bits Stored
    (0028,0102) - High Bit
    (0028,0002) - Samples per pixel

    In the DICOM Standard Part 3, Bits Allocated Definition says "Number of
    bits allocated for each pixel sample. Each sample shall have the same
    number of bits allocated. See PS 3.5 for further explanation."

    Also the definition of Sample Per Pixel says
    "Samples per Pixel (0028,0002) is the number of separate planes in this
    image. One, three, and four image planes are defined. Other numbers of
    image planes are allowed, but their meaning is not defined by this
    Standard.
    For monochrome (gray scale) and palette color images, the number of
    planes is 1. For RGB and other three vector color models, the value of
    this attribute is 3. For four vector color models, the value of this
    attribute is 4."

    Also, under the definition of Photometric Interpretation, the coded
    term RGB has the following information
    "RGB = Pixel data represent a color image described by red, green, and
    blue image planes. The minimum sample value for each color plane
    represents minimum intensity of the color. This value may be used only
    when Samples per Pixel (0028,0002) has a value of 3"

    Bottom line, although you haven't listed these attributes - your images
    are almost certainly 24 bit, 3 component, 8-bits per pixel color sample
    images. In your case Bits Stored and Bits Allocated should be the same.

  6. Re: Open RGB Explicit Little endian Dicom Image

    Hello again,

    Peter B Schmidt wrote:
    > Hello Neeraj,
    > There you go: 8 bit allocated = 1 Byte per pixel, *but* 3 Samples per
    > pixel: 1 "Overlay" red, one green, one blue ...

    after reading some other replies, I think my answer has to be clarified:
    you have 3 Image planes (Red, Green, Blue) encoded in RGB with 1 Byte
    per pixel *in each plane* - this means: 8 bit Red, 8 bit Green, 8 bit
    Blue results in 24 bit per pixel - which is bits per pixel multiplied by
    samples per pixel.

    Does this make it a little less obscure to you?

    Kind regards,

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread