What does it mean for "R" in return key in IHE TF vol2 - DICOM

This is a discussion on What does it mean for "R" in return key in IHE TF vol2 - DICOM ; Hi: In the IHE Technical Framework vol II, the Query Modality Worklist specifiies the Code Value for Query Keys Return (SCP) with a "R" in the Scheduled Procedure Sequence. > Scheduled Procode Code Sequence (0040,0008) - no requirement designation >> ...

  1. What does it mean for "R" in return key in IHE TF vol2

    Hi:

    In the IHE Technical Framework vol II, the Query Modality Worklist
    specifiies the Code Value for Query Keys Return (SCP) with a "R" in the
    Scheduled Procedure Sequence.

    > Scheduled Procode Code Sequence (0040,0008) - no requirement designation
    >> Code Value (0008,0100) O O R+* R

    What does the "R" mean? R+ means the requirement is an IHE extension
    of the DICOM requirement.

    The Return type is 1C not R in the DICOM Standard.

    According to the DICOM Standard, the conditions for this sequence is:

    "Either the scheduled Procedure Step Desciption (0040,0007) or the
    Scheduled Protocol Code sequence (0040,0008) or both shall be supported
    by the SCP"

    So you don't need to return it. So I am not sure what the "R"
    designation means in the IHE TF vol2. Do you have to return it or you
    don't according to "1C" for this attribute in the DICOM Standard.

    > Scheduled Procode Code Sequence (0040,0008)
    >> Code Value (0008,0100) O 1C

  2. Re: What does it mean for "R" in return key in IHE TF vol2

    Without looking at the specific passages in the IHE technical framework
    you cite, I will make the generic statement that the IHE will on
    occassion levy requirements for behavior on HL7 and DICOM interfaces
    which go beyond or are more specific that the requirements of those
    individual standards.

    In the case of DICOM, the operating procedures of the standard prevent
    the standards body from making an existing, interface more restrictive
    after it has been issued and adopted by vendors in an interoperable
    environment. As a result, one often sees Type 3 (optional,
    non-required) attributes added to DICOM IODs to address some newly
    identified need. The new attributes can be added to gain a standard
    "blessing" but DICOM can't make you start supporting them in order to
    be compliant after you implemented a compliant interface which didn't
    include them.

    The IHE is under no such restriction. If the IHE technical commitee
    decides certain attributes - say for example Type 3 or Type 2
    attributes - are absolutely needed to be present with meaningful values
    in order for a profile to operate correctly, they simply put the
    requirement in the profile. Compliance to the IHE profile isn't the
    same thing as DICOM compliant. The IHE does work in concert with both
    the DICOM and HL7 standards to try to get certain features added to
    standard so all are in harmony, but sometimes the IHE does things which
    DICOM cannot do under its charter.
    enyaw_2010@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > In the IHE Technical Framework vol II, the Query Modality Worklist
    > specifiies the Code Value for Query Keys Return (SCP) with a "R" in the
    > Scheduled Procedure Sequence.
    >
    > > Scheduled Procode Code Sequence (0040,0008) - no requirement designation
    > >> Code Value (0008,0100) O O R+* R

    > What does the "R" mean? R+ means the requirement is an IHE extension
    > of the DICOM requirement.
    >
    > The Return type is 1C not R in the DICOM Standard.
    >
    > According to the DICOM Standard, the conditions for this sequence is:
    >
    > "Either the scheduled Procedure Step Desciption (0040,0007) or the
    > Scheduled Protocol Code sequence (0040,0008) or both shall be supported
    > by the SCP"
    >
    > So you don't need to return it. So I am not sure what the "R"
    > designation means in the IHE TF vol2. Do you have to return it or you
    > don't according to "1C" for this attribute in the DICOM Standard.
    >
    > > Scheduled Procode Code Sequence (0040,0008)
    > >> Code Value (0008,0100) O 1C

  3. Re: What does it mean for "R" in return key in IHE TF vol2

    Hi Eric:

    Thanks for the reply.

    > Compliance to the IHE profile isn't the

    same thing as DICOM compliant.

    In the IHE Technical Framework vol II rev6.0 page 62, there is no
    requirement designated for the Scheduled Protocol Code Sequence
    (0040,0008). So what does it mean?

    > Scheduled Procode Code Sequence (0040,0008) - no requirement designation
    >> Code Value (0008,0100) O O R+* R

    Also, the Code Value has a "R" designated for the "Query Keys Return
    (SCP). I am used to the type 1, 1C, 2, 3, what does "R" mean?

    So if my device is IHE compliant I need to return the Code Value
    (0008,0100) because it has a designated requirment of "R". Correct?

    I thought R+ is IHE extension of the DICOM standard requirement, what
    is "R"? IHE or DICOM compliant?

    Wayne

  4. Re: What does it mean for "R" in return key in IHE TF vol2

    It is expressed in a bid of a convoluted fashion on Page 9 (Section
    2.2) of the IHE Technical Framework Vol II.

    Required Return Key SCU: a key the SCU requests from the SCP, receives
    in the query response and displays for the user (if required)

    The Definitions are
    O is optional
    R is required
    R* is required, but display is not required
    R+* requirement is an IHE extension of the DICOM requirements but is
    not required to be display.

    In DICOM Part4, Table K.6-1, Scheduled Step Protocol Sequence is listed
    as Optional Match Key, Type 1C Return Key where the condition is
    either the Scheduled Step Description or Scheduled
    Step Protocol Sequence or both shall be supported.

    IHE doesn't have requirments on the sequence per se, but instead lists
    requirements on the individual sequence item codes. Actually - if you
    look at it, it appears IHE is saying both Scheduled Step Description
    and Scheduled Step Protocol Sequence are required. The sequence is
    required because the code value and code meaning in at least one
    sequence item are required

    The R+* for the SCU means the SCU must specify a code value to query
    the Protocol Sequence Code (which is in excess of the DICOM
    requirement) but it doesn't have to provide a display showing what code
    value it is using to query.

    The R for the SCP means the SCP has to provide a response to the SCU's
    use of the key. My interpretation is this isn't in excess of the
    existing DICOM requirement because, by the time the SCP receives the
    query key, it doesn't matter that the IHE has forced the SCU to request
    a code value query. Under DICOM, the SCP either receives a code value
    query or it doesn't. When it does, it is obligated to provide a
    response, even if that response is an empty sequence (indicating no
    protocol code sequence items were found matching the specified code).

    I agree it is confusing. Someone else may post indicating my
    interpretation is FOS (to use radiology report terminology) but in my
    opinion the IHE spec should have a requirement on the Sequence as a
    whole, and not on the individual attributes inside the sequence items.

    enyaw_2010@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Eric:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > > Compliance to the IHE profile isn't the

    > same thing as DICOM compliant.
    >
    > In the IHE Technical Framework vol II rev6.0 page 62, there is no
    > requirement designated for the Scheduled Protocol Code Sequence
    > (0040,0008). So what does it mean?
    >
    > > Scheduled Procode Code Sequence (0040,0008) - no requirement designation
    > >> Code Value (0008,0100) O O R+* R

    > Also, the Code Value has a "R" designated for the "Query Keys Return
    > (SCP). I am used to the type 1, 1C, 2, 3, what does "R" mean?
    >
    > So if my device is IHE compliant I need to return the Code Value
    > (0008,0100) because it has a designated requirment of "R". Correct?
    >
    > I thought R+ is IHE extension of the DICOM standard requirement, what
    > is "R"? IHE or DICOM compliant?
    >
    > Wayne

+ Reply to Thread