Registration nec. for Private Groups and Elements ? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Registration nec. for Private Groups and Elements ? - DICOM ; Hi Marco: I don't know why the problem is that there is no reservation mechanism for the value of the private group owner string, so there is a chance of collision. for example: If Company_A and Company_B is assigned a ...

  1. Registration nec. for Private Groups and Elements ?

    Hi Marco:

    I don't know why the problem is that there is no reservation mechanism
    for the value of the
    private group owner string, so there is a chance of collision.

    for example:

    If Company_A and Company_B is assigned a private creator data elements
    as below, why would there be a collision. If I am Company A, I just
    don't use/write to elements (2001,1100-11ff) and If I am Company B, I
    just don't use/write to elements (2001,1000-10ff).

    The question I have is how to I know what private creator data elements
    are available or already reserved? Where can I find out this
    information?

    (2001,0010) LO "Company_A"

    reserved block (2001,1000-10ff)

    and

    company_B is assigned a private create data element

    (2001,0011) LO "Company_B"

    reserved block (2001,1100-11ff)

    Bertram Herzog" wrote...

    > Now the questions:
    > 1. Is there a registration process or database where private elements and
    > tags are listed and tracked?
    > It's basically that we want to insure the "uniqueness" of our private tags
    > and not run into trouble when loading data generated by the Slicer into
    > other clinical workstations.

    Within a dataset there is a kind of registration process for a range of

    attribute tags.
    The presence of an element with tag (gggg,00xx) with VR=LO reserves all

    attributes
    in the range (gggg,xx00-xxff) for use by the "owner" of the reservation
    tag.
    The problem is that there is no reservation mechanism for the value of
    the
    private group owner string, so there is a chance of collision.

    Thanks

    Wayne

  2. Re: Registration nec. for Private Groups and Elements ?

    Hi Wayne

    There is no registration mechanism, so there is a theoretical
    risk of conflict here.

    However, almost all vendors that create private elements include
    an abbreviation of the vendor's company name as the first part
    of the creator ID, and so far this seems to have served to avoid
    conflict.

    Note that the VR of the creator ID is LO, which allows for 64
    characters, so if you are really concerned you could actually
    create a UID to use for your creator ID; if the UID were created
    properly and was globally unique, as it should be, it would
    would fit in the available space, and would be guaranteed
    never to conflict. Trailing padding would be a space not a null,
    since the VR is LO not UI, but that shouldn't matter.

    David

    PS. The only place to find a list of private creator IDs is
    with the list of private elements in vendors' DICOM conformance
    statements, assuming they publish the private elements, which
    not all vendors do. I have a lot of these included in the data
    dictionary in my dicom3tools, but it is not exhaustive or
    complete.

    enyaw_2010@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Marco:
    >
    > I don't know why the problem is that there is no reservation mechanism
    > for the value of the
    > private group owner string, so there is a chance of collision.
    >

    > for example:
    >
    > If Company_A and Company_B is assigned a private creator data elements
    > as below, why would there be a collision. If I am Company A, I just
    > don't use/write to elements (2001,1100-11ff) and If I am Company B, I
    > just don't use/write to elements (2001,1000-10ff).
    >
    > The question I have is how to I know what private creator data elements
    > are available or already reserved? Where can I find out this
    > information?
    >
    > (2001,0010) LO "Company_A"
    >
    > reserved block (2001,1000-10ff)
    >
    > and
    >
    > company_B is assigned a private create data element
    >
    > (2001,0011) LO "Company_B"
    >

    > reserved block (2001,1100-11ff)

    > Bertram Herzog" wrote...
    >

    >>Now the questions:
    >>1. Is there a registration process or database where private elements and
    >>tags are listed and tracked?
    >>It's basically that we want to insure the "uniqueness" of our private tags
    >>and not run into trouble when loading data generated by the Slicer into
    >>other clinical workstations.

    > Within a dataset there is a kind of registration process for a range of
    >
    > attribute tags.
    > The presence of an element with tag (gggg,00xx) with VR=LO reserves all
    >
    > attributes
    > in the range (gggg,xx00-xxff) for use by the "owner" of the reservation
    > tag.
    > The problem is that there is no reservation mechanism for the value of
    > the
    > private group owner string, so there is a chance of collision.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Wayne

  3. Re: Registration nec. for Private Groups and Elements ?

    Thanks David.

    I just want to understand why it is more difficult to delete a private
    element than a standard element. Assuming that you want to delete a
    private element.

    You need to check the creator id value to make sure you are really
    deleting the private element from Company A and not Company B because
    the same element tag (2001,1000) can be used in two different images
    from two different companies so they can conflict.

    e.g.

    Company A's image:

    (2001,0010) LO "I am Company A"
    (2001,1000) first element.

    Company B's image:

    (2001,0010) LO "I am Company B"
    (2001,1000) first element.

    So if you want to delete element (2001,1000) from company A, you would
    not delete element in B's image because the Creator id says "I am
    Company B".

    Wayne.

+ Reply to Thread