Study Instance UID in N-SET - DICOM

This is a discussion on Study Instance UID in N-SET - DICOM ; In developing MPPS application, I encountered a problem: N-SET command does not carrry Study Instance UID. Where should the Study Instance UID be? For example, N-CREATE command put Study Instance UID in: cheduled Step Attribute Sequence (0040,0270) >StudyInstanceUID(0020,000D) I expect ...

  1. Study Instance UID in N-SET

    In developing MPPS application, I encountered a problem: N-SET
    command does not carrry Study Instance UID.

    Where should the Study Instance UID be?
    For example, N-CREATE command put Study Instance UID in:

    cheduled Step Attribute Sequence (0040,0270)
    >StudyInstanceUID(0020,000D)

    I expect it is in the same place for N-SET. But I can not find it
    there.

    Thanks a lot,
    Yan

  2. Re: Study Instance UID in N-SET

    Hi Yan

    ycheng@dominator.com wrote:
    > In developing MPPS application, I encountered a problem: N-SET
    > command does not carry Study Instance UID.
    >
    > Where should the Study Instance UID be?
    > For example, N-CREATE command put Study Instance UID in:
    >
    > Scheduled Step Attribute Sequence (0040,0270)
    > >StudyInstanceUID(0020,000D)

    > I expect it is in the same place for N-SET. But I can not find it
    > there.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Yan

    The Study Instance UID in the Scheduled Step Attribute Sequence
    is where you establish the value of Study Instance UID during
    the N-CREATE.

    This is true whether or not there was ever an SPS on the
    worklist or not (implicit SPS in the unscheduled case),
    since both the Scheduled Step Attribute Sequence and its
    contained Study Instance UID are Type 1.

    You are not allowed to change this in a subsequent N-SET.

    There are a whole lot of attributes that must be filled
    in at N-CREATE only, and not subsequently changed ... that
    is what the "Not allowed" entry in the N-SET column in
    PS 3.4 F.7.2.1.1 means.

    The rationale behind this design is that there are certain
    things that will be known when a procedure step is started,
    and that there is no need to ever change, and that pretty
    much includes everything that was scheduled.

    One can envisage that an MPPS SCP might have a problem if the
    Study Instance UID were to change during the course of the
    performance of the step ! The requirement that it be N-CREATE'd
    and not subsequently N-SET ensures that it will not.

    Is there any particular reason why you might want to ?

    David

+ Reply to Thread