Query MWL from PACS, Store output in MySQL database - DICOM

This is a discussion on Query MWL from PACS, Store output in MySQL database - DICOM ; Good afternoon, I am looking to write a web-based interface for our PACS systems Modality worklist- basically querying the current data in the worklist for +/- a few hours, and store this output into a MySQL database. I have been ...

  1. Query MWL from PACS, Store output in MySQL database

    Good afternoon,

    I am looking to write a web-based interface for our PACS systems
    Modality worklist- basically querying the current data in the worklist
    for +/- a few hours, and store this output into a MySQL database.

    I have been fiddling around a bit with the program: FINDSCU, and am
    able to query, based on a date range, and see output at the command
    line, however, I am not exactly clear where to begin to capture this
    data and store into a Database table.

    I understand that FINDSCU may not be the source I should use to feed
    the database, but I am looking for any assistance in getting moving.

    Or, if this is done in another application already, point me at that
    too!

    thanks much!

    Jeff

  2. Re: Query MWL from PACS, Store output in MySQL database

    Jeff,

    > I have been fiddling around a bit with the program: FINDSCU, and am
    > able to query, based on a date range, and see output at the command
    > line, however, I am not exactly clear where to begin to capture this
    > data and store into a Database table.

    maybe, you find it useful to extract the C-FIND responses and store them
    as DICOM files using the findscu option --extract (-X).

    Regards,
    Jörg Riesmeier

  3. Re: Query MWL from PACS, Store output in MySQL database

    Hi Jorg,

    I still want to be able to store the data into a Database somehow- is
    there a way to direct the output of the FINDSCU to pass it to command
    line MySQL commands, or would it be possible to query a Modality
    Worklist directly from PHP code using sockets?

    I am grasping at straws im sure

    thanks!
    On Jul 10, 4:26*am, "Joerg Riesmeier" wrote:
    > Jeff,
    >
    > > I have been fiddling around a bit with the program: FINDSCU, and am
    > > able to query, based on a date range, and see output at the command
    > > line, however, I am not exactly clear where to begin to capture this
    > > data and store into a Database table.

    > maybe, you find it useful to extract the C-FIND responses and store them
    > as DICOM files using the findscu option --extract (-X).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jörg Riesmeier

  4. Re: Query MWL from PACS, Store output in MySQL database

    Several years ago I developed a test GUI application which was based
    off of FindSCU and had the following logic:

    - Collect query parameters from the user.
    - Generate a findscu command line based off of user specified options.
    - Run findscu (with the -X option) and have it dump all responses as
    individual DICOM files.
    - Open all the resulting files, extract information of interest from
    each file, populate a listbox.

    You can probably do all of these things and just populate your
    database instead of a listbox.

    There are several ways to approach the topic of putting DICOM into a
    database as well... You could:
    a) Identify fields of interest and create a schema based around them.
    Mine the values of interest from the response files and populate the
    schema.
    b) Put UNC paths to the response files in the database.
    c) Convert the DICOM objects to XML (DCMTK has a utility for this as
    well) and put an XML blob in the database for each response.

    Just out of curiosity, what problem are you trying to solve by
    creating another copy of the data that already exists in the MWL SCP?

    - Josh Coleman

    On Jul 10, 2:59*pm, Jeff wrote:
    > Hi Jorg,
    >
    > I still want to be able to store the data into a Database somehow- is
    > there a way to direct the output of the FINDSCU to pass it to command
    > line MySQL commands, or would it be possible to query a Modality
    > Worklist directly from PHP code using sockets?
    >
    > I am grasping at straws im sure
    >
    > thanks!
    > On Jul 10, 4:26*am, "Joerg Riesmeier" wrote:
    >

    > > Jeff,

    > > > I have been fiddling around a bit with the program: FINDSCU, and am
    > > > able to query, based on a date range, and see output at the command
    > > > line, however, I am not exactly clear where to begin to capture this
    > > > data and store into a Database table.

    > > maybe, you find it useful to extract the C-FIND responses and store them
    > > as DICOM files using the findscu option --extract (-X).

    > > Regards,
    > > Jörg Riesmeier- Hide quoted text -

  5. Re: Query MWL from PACS, Store output in MySQL database

    Hi Josh,

    I have several PHP applications that we've developed in house that
    could benefit from a MWL for ease of data entry and corrections. I
    wish to have a "copy" of MWL or be able to access MWL from my
    applications. I'm totally new to the idea of DICOM programming and
    slowly learning that the data cannot be accessed by simple socket
    programming

    On Jul 11, 4:42*pm, josh.colema...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Several years ago I developed a test GUI application which was based
    > off of FindSCU and had the following logic:
    >
    > - Collect query parameters from the user.
    > - Generate a findscu command line based off of user specified options.
    > - Run findscu (with the -X option) and have it dump all responses as
    > individual DICOM files.
    > - Open all the resulting files, extract information of interest from
    > each file, populate a listbox.
    >
    > You can probably do all of these things and just populate your
    > database instead of a listbox.
    >
    > There are several ways to approach the topic of putting DICOM into a
    > database as well... You could:
    > a) Identify fields of interest and create a schema based around them.
    > Mine the values of interest from the response files and populate the
    > schema.
    > b) Put UNC paths to the response files in the database.
    > c) Convert the DICOM objects to XML (DCMTK has a utility for this as
    > well) and put an XML blob in the database for each response.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, what problem are you trying to solve by
    > creating another copy of the data that already exists in the MWL SCP?
    >
    > - Josh Coleman
    >
    > On Jul 10, 2:59*pm, Jeff wrote:
    >

    > > Hi Jorg,

    > > I still want to be able to store the data into a Database somehow- is
    > > there a way to direct the output of the FINDSCU to pass it to command
    > > line MySQL commands, or would it be possible to query a Modality
    > > Worklist directly from PHP code using sockets?

    > > I am grasping at straws im sure

    > > thanks!
    > > On Jul 10, 4:26*am, "Joerg Riesmeier" wrote:

    > > > Jeff,

    > > > maybe, you find it useful to extract the C-FIND responses and store them
    > > > as DICOM files using the findscu option --extract (-X).

    > > > Regards,
    > > > Jörg Riesmeier- Hide quoted text -

  6. Re: Query MWL from PACS, Store output in MySQL database

    On Jul 13, 1:55*pm, Jeff wrote:
    > Hi Josh,
    >
    > I have several PHP applications that we've developed in house that
    > could benefit from a MWL for ease of data entry and corrections. *I
    > wish to have a "copy" of MWL or be able to access MWL from my
    > applications. *I'm totally new to the idea of DICOM programming and
    > slowly learning that the data cannot be accessed by simple socket
    > programming
    >
    > On Jul 11, 4:42*pm, josh.colema...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Several years ago I developed a test GUI application which was based
    > > off of FindSCU and had the following logic:

    > > - Collect query parameters from the user.
    > > - Generate a findscu command line based off of user specified options.
    > > - Run findscu (with the -X option) and have it dump all responses as
    > > individual DICOM files.
    > > - Open all the resulting files, extract information of interest from
    > > each file, populate a listbox.

    > > You can probably do all of these things and just populate your
    > > database instead of a listbox.

    > > There are several ways to approach the topic of putting DICOM into a
    > > database as well... You could:
    > > a) Identify fields of interest and create a schema based around them.
    > > Mine the values of interest from the response files and populate the
    > > schema.
    > > b) Put UNC paths to the response files in the database.
    > > c) Convert the DICOM objects to XML (DCMTK has a utility for this as
    > > well) and put an XML blob in the database for each response.

    > > Just out of curiosity, what problem are you trying to solve by
    > > creating another copy of the data that already exists in the MWL SCP?

    > > - Josh Coleman

    > > On Jul 10, 2:59*pm, Jeff wrote:

    > > > Hi Jorg,

    > > > I still want to be able to store the data into a Database somehow- is
    > > > there a way to direct the output of the FINDSCU to pass it to command
    > > > line MySQL commands, or would it be possible to query a Modality
    > > > Worklist directly from PHP code using sockets?

    > > > I am grasping at straws im sure

    > > > thanks!

    It sounds like you are using PHP. If the data that comes from the find
    is formated, you should be able to parse it, and then form SQL
    statements from it. (Perl is a good candidate for that kind of work.)

    In PHP I think you can do something like

    $result = exec ("/PATH/TO/FINDSCU");

    and then parse $result.

    if you are using dcmtk, which is written in C++ I think, you would not
    be able to call the libraries directly unless your program is in C++.
    However if you use Java, dcm4che is written in Java, and you can use
    the DICOM libraries directly. I have done that with success, though
    not for using MWL.

+ Reply to Thread