10 & 12 Bit Image Display on Windows - DICOM

This is a discussion on 10 & 12 Bit Image Display on Windows - DICOM ; Hi Group I am developing a radiology viewer on windows platform. I am using VC++ MFC for development. I am facing problem while displaying 10 & 12 bit images. I could dispIay it but the image quality is not satisfactory ...

  1. 10 & 12 Bit Image Display on Windows

    Hi Group

    I am developing a radiology viewer on windows platform. I am using VC++
    MFC for development. I am facing problem while displaying 10 & 12 bit
    images. I could dispIay it but the image quality is not satisfactory as
    compared to accuview, xelara viewers.

    I have read many old threads on this topic. I understood that windowing
    and Modality LUT table play an important role in image quality. but
    programatically I couldnot understand much. Most of the people have
    used dcmtk tool kit and using java's JVT for development so I think it
    is internally taking care of everything.

    Has anybody tried this in C++, VC++? It will be very useful for me if I
    get some samples. Are such samples are available?

    Also many people are using dcmtk and help is available on how to use it
    in Java (Pixelmed) but for VC++ developers there is hardly anything.
    Can somebody assist me if they know where such help is available?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Prashant

  2. Re: 10 & 12 Bit Image Display on Windows

    Prash wrote:
    > I have read many old threads on this topic. I understood that windowing
    > and Modality LUT table play an important role in image quality. but
    > programatically I couldnot understand much. Most of the people have
    > used dcmtk tool kit and using java's JVT for development so I think it
    > is internally taking care of everything.
    > Has anybody tried this in C++, VC++? It will be very useful for me if I
    > get some samples. Are such samples are available?

    DCMTK is a C++ toolkit, and does indeed take care of things such as Modality LUTs, Window
    Level/Width and a number of other transformations in the DICOM grayscale display pipeline.
    Using that from within a Java VM is tricky, use from C++ is straightforward - just read the
    documentation of the DicomImage class and use it. (see
    http://support.dcmtk.org/docs/classDicomImage.html for the only documentation of this class)
    The source code of the "dcm2pnm" sample application shows how to use the various options and
    features of this class and can serve as the example you are looking for. It does not include any GUI
    code, but it should be fairly obvious how to go from there to a GUI implementation.
    http://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk is your starting point for anything related to DCMTK.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS e.V.