Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server - DICOM

This is a discussion on Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server - DICOM ; Thanks for the newsgroup. I decided to implement Conquest PACS server and the animal hospital I work at because of the feedback I've seen here. We're still in the testing phase and we were able to load a bunch MRIs ...

  1. Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server

    Thanks for the newsgroup. I decided to implement Conquest PACS server
    and the animal hospital I work at because of the feedback I've seen
    here.

    We're still in the testing phase and we were able to load a bunch MRIs
    from CD into Conquest. I thought through the dicom.ini we can enable
    forced compression of imported images but I don't see it or cannot
    tell. The directory size of where the images are stored are the same as
    their raw format.

    We're running Conquest PACS on RHEL 4 with Postgres database.

    Am I missing something?

    Thanks.

    Steve Poe

  2. Re: Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server

    First of all, you ve to configure in the configuration menue how to
    store the images on your HD.
    For compressing the images, you ve to send them to conquest, that
    means to do this with an extra workstation prog. Loading directly into
    conquest won t compress any images.

  3. Re: Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server

    Okay.Conquest will not compress them. I am puzzled though why it needs
    to know how to store the images on the HD if it does not compress them.
    Is this so Conquest knows how to handle/load the images? I did notice
    it seemed to decompress during a test of a DICOM image...I could be
    wrong.

    Regarding the "extra workstation prog." do you have any
    recommendations? I am trying to find open source solutions but that
    doesn't mean that will be the best for our veterinary radiologists.

    Thanks.

    Steve Poe

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server

    Hi Steve,

    CONQUEST will compress your images on the fly if you send them via a
    DICOM Store SCU (e.g. a workstation prog)
    There are several compression options, but I would recommend NKI
    private or Jpeg lossless only. NKI is faster and a bit more stable and
    achives compression rates of 1:2 Jpeg lossess compresses a bit better
    (1:2.5) but is implemented via a DCMTK tool called dcmcjpeg.exe (which
    you have to download separately and put it in the Conquest folder)

    As a workstation program I would of course recommend K-PACS
    (www.k-pacs.net) because it is tested with Conquest intensively and
    will even support NKI by itself in the comming version V.0.9.6

    regards,
    Andreas

    steve.poe@gmail.com wrote:
    > Okay.Conquest will not compress them. I am puzzled though why it needs
    > to know how to store the images on the HD if it does not compress them.
    > Is this so Conquest knows how to handle/load the images? I did notice
    > it seemed to decompress during a test of a DICOM image...I could be
    > wrong.
    >
    > Regarding the "extra workstation prog." do you have any
    > recommendations? I am trying to find open source solutions but that
    > doesn't mean that will be the best for our veterinary radiologists.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steve Poe
    >

    > Thanks.

  5. Re: Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server

    As Andreas points out, K-pacs is a very good workstation prog for that
    purpuse, and his HP has a forum for questions concerning his prog,
    which is very useful.
    If you are a linux-freak, and k-pacs doen t run with linux to this
    moment, cause you installed conquest with a postgres database, then you
    should try aesculap, to my mind a very good freeware viewer that runs
    with linux (http://aeskulap.nongnu.org/index.html).
    Please post your experience with that viewer, cause a friend of mine is
    thinking about
    linux.Did you try the worklist? I am planning to connect it to the
    other tables, but to this moment I am not such a mysql buff.
    Hope I could help you.

    Hans

  6. Re: Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server

    For me, I'll use Linux, but I have and 20+ doctors and their
    technicians to support using Windows. I am testing DicomWorks. I don't
    know enough about it if it supports the ability to do acquisition.

    I have not tried the worklists yet, I know I'll need to. I feel like I
    am drinking from a firehose with information overload.

    Thanks.

    Steve

  7. Re: Image Compression on Conquest PACS Server

    I found the setting for compression, which I thought I enabled it, but
    I think the directory structure value was wrong (I don't know why), but
    now I am seing 50% compression as images are being stored. So, I don't
    have to force compression with the viewer.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread