DICM in command set? - DICOM

This is a discussion on DICM in command set? - DICOM ; Hi, Since I previously worked with images rather than the protocol I see my doubt logical. Q1. Is the command set of P-DATA-TF same as the command set in the image header? (i.e group 0002 for eg.) Q2. If it ...

  1. DICM in command set?

    Hi,

    Since I previously worked with images rather than the protocol I see my
    doubt logical.

    Q1. Is the command set of P-DATA-TF same as the command set in the
    image header? (i.e group 0002 for eg.)

    Q2. If it is so, does the command set include the preamble? i.e. the
    empty bytes and DICM.

    Thank you,
    Rajesh Rapaka.

  2. Re: DICM in command set?

    Rajesh.Rapaka wrote:

    > Q1. Is the command set of P-DATA-TF same as the command set in the
    > image header? (i.e group 0002 for eg.)

    No - the command set is only the group 0x0000 elements; see PS 3.7

    Note that you must never send anything other than group 0x0000 in
    the command set, and nothing less than 0x0008 in the data set.

    Specifically you must strip off the meta information group 0x0002
    element before sending the data set.

    > Q2. If it is so, does the command set include the preamble? i.e. the
    > empty bytes and DICM.

    No, it does not.

    This must be stripped off also.

    David

  3. Re: DICM in command set?

    I think it also needs to clarify some terms when talking about DICOM
    networking:
    What you send over the network is the DICOM message.
    The DICOM message consists of Command Set and maybe a Data set.
    At DICOM upper protocol level we talk about Protocol Data Units (PDU).
    There are different PDU types, P-DATA-TF is used for sending the
    message. So the message is partitioned into 1 or more P-Data-TF. The
    command set always fits in one P-DATA-TF, if you have a data set you
    will have mor P-DATA-TFs containing e.g. a DICOM image.
    Group 0002 elements are called DICOM File Meta Information so you can
    find them only in DICOM Files. There is no command to find.
    Group 0000 elements are called Command Set.
    You can imagine that when you load a file and want to send it over the
    network, you have to remove the File Meta Inf. and add the Command Set.
    The command set contains e.g. that you want to make use of C-Store, a
    copy of SOP class and SOP instance UID and so on.
    If you receive a file you have to strip of the command set and add File
    Meta Inf. instead.
    Most toolkits like MergeCom will have an A PI command like "File to
    Message" and "message to file" which does all the work for you.

+ Reply to Thread