ASK : dicom waveform library - DICOM

This is a discussion on ASK : dicom waveform library - DICOM ; Hi, My name is Budhi. Currently I'm working in text to dicom converter project for my thesis. The text file contains bit stream of 12 lead ECG signals, and I need to convert them into dicom waveform format. Can you ...

  1. ASK : dicom waveform library

    Hi,

    My name is Budhi. Currently I'm working in text to dicom converter
    project for my thesis.
    The text file contains bit stream of 12 lead ECG signals, and I need
    to convert them into dicom waveform format.

    Can you suggest me, what should I do ? Do you know open source dicom
    waveform library based on C or C++ ? I've tried to found, but the
    resource is too limited. I think NEMA should has a verified library
    for its standard to help the dicom developers.

    Best regards,
    Budhi Kristianto
    Chung Yuan Christian University
    Taiwan

  2. Re: ASK : dicom waveform library

    There is nothing "special" about DICOM waveforms, other than the
    fact that there is no image pixel data.

    There are two principle tasks involved:

    - converting your text data to a Waveform Data element that
    is encoded in binary as OB or OW VR depending on the bit depth,
    in your case OW (12 bits in each 16 bit word), with the correct
    byte order, and the correct interleaving of multiple (presumably
    12) channels in one multiplex group at the same sampling rate

    - populating all the other DICOM attributes necessary to describe
    the waveform IOD

    I don't know of any open source toolkit that has already present
    within it a "raw waveform to DICOM" converter already (analogous
    to the "consumer image format to DICOM" converters that many
    already do, but if it were that easy there wouldn't be much value
    to your thesis !

    There are a number of C++ toolkits around, dcmtk being one of them
    that is very popular, any of which could do this if you are prepared
    to assemble the tags one at a time at a programmatic level. Just
    walk through the PS 3.3 12-Lead ECG IOD, including all mandatory
    attributes of all mandatory modules and providing appropriate
    values for them. If you can do this in Java, you might find
    my PixelMed toolkit helpful, and use something like the
    com.pixelmed.dicom.ImageToDicom class as a starting point.

    When you are done, you can try displaying it in the (primitive)
    waveform viewer in my PixelMed Java toolkit, and try validating
    its compliance using my dicom3tools dciodvfy tool.

    There are plenty of dicom toolkits and libraries around that are
    readily accessible and widely supported, so I don't think NEMA
    has any interest in competing in this space.

    David

    budhik@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My name is Budhi. Currently I'm working in text to dicom converter
    > project for my thesis.
    > The text file contains bit stream of 12 lead ECG signals, and I need
    > to convert them into dicom waveform format.
    >
    > Can you suggest me, what should I do ? Do you know open source dicom
    > waveform library based on C or C++ ? I've tried to found, but the
    > resource is too limited. I think NEMA should has a verified library
    > for its standard to help the dicom developers.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Budhi Kristianto
    > Chung Yuan Christian University
    > Taiwan

  3. Re: ASK : dicom waveform library

    On Jul 8, 11:06*am, bud...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My name is Budhi. Currently I'm working in text to dicom converter
    > project for my thesis.
    > The text file contains bit stream of 12 lead ECG signals, and I need
    > to convert them into dicom waveform format.
    >
    > Can you suggest me, what should I do ? Do you know open source dicom
    > waveform library based on C or C++ ? I've tried to found, but the
    > resource is too limited. I think NEMA should has a verified library
    > for its standard to help the dicom developers.

    Ref:
    http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Tools/DICOM

    C++ Open Source toolkit are not clearly identifiable. Those are:
    - dcmtk
    - dicom3tools
    - dicomlib
    - GDCM