suggestions for handling pixel spacing - DICOM

This is a discussion on suggestions for handling pixel spacing - DICOM ; Hi everyone, Can anyone give me a recommendation for handling image presentation when the pixel spacing of an image is not square? If I have an image with pixel spacing 0.18mm x 0.92mm with 200 rows and 200 columns for ...

  1. suggestions for handling pixel spacing

    Hi everyone,

    Can anyone give me a recommendation for handling image presentation
    when the pixel spacing of an image is not square? If I have an image
    with pixel spacing 0.18mm x 0.92mm with 200 rows and 200 columns for
    example, how should I go about figuring out how to resize my image
    accordingly for proper display?

    Should I just find the ratio of bigger size to smaller size, multiply
    each row/col dimension by that for a 'final scaled' image?

    .92 / .18 = 5.1; // ratio
    200 * 1 = 200; // rows
    200 * 5.1 = 1022.22; // cols

    So my display image would really be stretched to 1022 x 200 pixels..is
    that correct?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. Re: suggestions for handling pixel spacing

    I believe that's correct.

    -Somchai

    "markww" wrote in message
    news:1128641007.887015.112510@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Can anyone give me a recommendation for handling image presentation
    > when the pixel spacing of an image is not square? If I have an image
    > with pixel spacing 0.18mm x 0.92mm with 200 rows and 200 columns for
    > example, how should I go about figuring out how to resize my image
    > accordingly for proper display?
    >
    > Should I just find the ratio of bigger size to smaller size, multiply
    > each row/col dimension by that for a 'final scaled' image?
    >
    > .92 / .18 = 5.1; // ratio
    > 200 * 1 = 200; // rows
    > 200 * 5.1 = 1022.22; // cols
    >
    > So my display image would really be stretched to 1022 x 200 pixels..is
    > that correct?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

  3. Re: suggestions for handling pixel spacing

    The image stretching is correct. However, there are techniques you can apply
    to improve the
    display of the stretched image. Bilinear interpolation is a frequently used
    one.

    Ted
    Ted Wu, Ph.D. Able Software Corp. http://www.3d-doctor.com
    3D-DOCTOR: The Vector-Based 3D Modeling, Imaging and Measurement Software

    "markww" wrote in message
    news:1128641007.887015.112510@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Can anyone give me a recommendation for handling image presentation
    > when the pixel spacing of an image is not square? If I have an image
    > with pixel spacing 0.18mm x 0.92mm with 200 rows and 200 columns for
    > example, how should I go about figuring out how to resize my image
    > accordingly for proper display?
    >
    > Should I just find the ratio of bigger size to smaller size, multiply
    > each row/col dimension by that for a 'final scaled' image?
    >
    > .92 / .18 = 5.1; // ratio
    > 200 * 1 = 200; // rows
    > 200 * 5.1 = 1022.22; // cols
    >
    > So my display image would really be stretched to 1022 x 200 pixels..is
    > that correct?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

+ Reply to Thread