seriesUID interleave. - DICOM

This is a discussion on seriesUID interleave. - DICOM ; We have a Angio suite that sends images to our PACS system. When the need arises to send a second set of images AFTER the exam is closed, the modality tags this set of images with the SAME series UID ...

  1. seriesUID interleave.

    We have a Angio suite that sends images to our PACS system. When the
    need arises to send a second set of images AFTER the exam is closed,
    the modality tags this set of images with the SAME series UID as the
    first set yet starts numbering the images at #1. This results in our
    PACS (understandably) considering the 2 sets as one series and displays
    them interleaved (1,1,2,2,3,3 etc). Solution on the Angio is expensive
    so my thought is to go in and simply grab that second set and create a
    new series UID so our viewstation inteprets correctly. According to an
    earlier post, I should also change the Instance UID as well. Is that
    reasonable? Is there a more detailed reference on this strategy?
    Thanks much
    Mark Nigogosyan

  2. Re: seriesUID interleave.

    If the PACS is not overwriting the instances already stored or
    ignoring/complaining about the new instances then the new images most
    likely have a unique instance UID already. If not I would be
    interested to know how the PACS is keeping up with the instances
    internally. Coercing the series UID of the second set should be the
    only thing necessary to get the desired results.

    Colby

  3. Re: seriesUID interleave.

    Sorry I did not clarify this point. In the single series folder in this
    study are all unique Instance UIDS. The InstanceUID's and the order in
    which they are displayed at my WS:
    1.3.46.670589.7.5.11.80020209219.20050729.114551.1 .1,
    1.3.46.670589.7.5.11.80020209219.20050729.123959.1 .1
    1.3.46.670589.7.5.11.80020209219.20050729.114551.2 .1
    1.3.46.670589.7.5.11.80020209219.20050729.123959.2 .1
    Again it seems to me simply changing the series UID for every other
    image would do the trick. I believe an additional potential problem
    may be resending identical instance UIDS-will PACS overwrite or not-I
    presume I must simply try and test.
    Agree?
    Thank you
    Mark Nigogosyan

  4. Re: seriesUID interleave.

    Ideally you would want to coerce the series UID before the PACS stored
    the instance. Some PACS systems may errupt into a massive fireball of
    death and destruction... maybe a bit carried away... but a lot of
    systems can handle data changes as long as the UIDs stay the same but
    not the other way around. (Most PACS vendors generally don't
    appreciate you finding/creating bugs that require core code changes.)
    Unless you can get the PACS to split the interleaved series internally
    it would be best to split and then store. Of course, I have been known
    to blow things out of proportion and there is always a chance that I am
    wrong.

    Colby

+ Reply to Thread