XML and DICOM - DICOM

This is a discussion on XML and DICOM - DICOM ; Hi all, Just a simple question, I have to serialize some header data and I have decided that the best way to do this is use XML ( I want some structure to my data). Not wishing to re-invent the ...

  1. XML and DICOM

    Hi all,
    Just a simple question, I have to serialize some header data and I
    have decided that the best way to do this is use XML ( I want some
    structure to my data). Not wishing to re-invent the wheel I would like
    to use a common DTD. So which is the most common DTD used by the DICOM
    community. I have found a good paper by M.J. Torhola "Medical Imaging
    Data Representation with DICOM-XML" Euro-PACS-MIR 2004. Does anyone
    else use this?

    Thanks for your advice.

    Adam Wacey.

  2. Re: XML and DICOM

    Adam.Wacey@Commedica.com wrote:

    > So which is the most common DTD used by the DICOM community.

    I don't think that there is any DTD which can be regarded as
    the one most commonly used. Many DICOM tool(kit) developers
    have "invented" their own DTD or Schema, e.g. a DICOM file
    converted by our DCMTK tool dcm2xml [1] looks like this:

    name="MetaElementGroupLength">
    166

    name="ImplementationVersionName">
    OFFIS_DCMTK_353

    name="SpecificCharacterSet">
    ISO_IR 100

    name="LUTDescriptor">
    256\\0\\8

    name="PixelData" loaded="no" binary="hidden">

    A DTD is also available as part of the download packages [2].
    This DTD uses the following generic XML element names: file-format,
    meta-header, data-set, element, sequence, item, pixel-item.

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier
    OFFIS

    [1] http://support.dcmtk.org/docs/dcm2xml.html