GE "raw DICOM" in ultrasound- what does it mean exactly? - DICOM

This is a discussion on GE "raw DICOM" in ultrasound- what does it mean exactly? - DICOM ; I am trying to understand the exact meaning of the "raw DICOM" format used by GE in the EchoPack software. Do the data stored in this format contain only imagas not compresed to any format such as JPG (and for ...

  1. GE "raw DICOM" in ultrasound- what does it mean exactly?

    I am trying to understand the exact meaning of the "raw DICOM" format
    used by GE in the EchoPack software. Do the data stored in this format
    contain only imagas not compresed to any format such as JPG (and for
    this reason called raw) or is it possible (using configuration options)
    to store real raw data (before the reconstruction/image formation) such
    as RF (hardly probable) or so called baseband or envelope data?
    Thanks,
    Beata

  2. Re: GE "raw DICOM" in ultrasound- what does it mean exactly?

    lesniak@mchtr.pw.edu.pl wrote:

    > I am trying to understand the exact meaning of the "raw DICOM" format
    > used by GE in the EchoPack software. Do the data stored in this format
    > contain only imagas not compresed to any format such as JPG (and for
    > this reason called raw)

    As far as I know, an 'uncompressed image', is just called 'an image'.
    The transfert synatx will tell you if it's Explicit VR Little Endian,
    Implicit Little Endian, etc.

    What's called 'Raw Data' is generally the Data, as adquired by the
    hardware, before reconstruction.

    or is it possible (using configuration options)
    > to store real raw data (before the reconstruction/image formation) such
    > as RF (hardly probable) or so called baseband or envelope data?

    or K-space, as well.
    When you *do* need them, it's very hard to get them (constructors don't
    like very much other people to play with them ...)
    If you get them, you need to know the data structure (not the 'dicom
    part' structure, that's like other Dicom headers) if you want to deal
    with them.

    Jean-Pierre

    > Thanks,
    > Beata

  3. Re: GE "raw DICOM" in ultrasound- what does it mean exactly?

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1118393087.608062.176280@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    >I am trying to understand the exact meaning of the "raw DICOM" format
    > used by GE in the EchoPack software. Do the data stored in this format
    > contain only imagas not compresed to any format such as JPG (and for
    > this reason called raw) or is it possible (using configuration options)
    > to store real raw data (before the reconstruction/image formation) such
    > as RF (hardly probable) or so called baseband or envelope data?

    Beata,

    the "raw DICOM" format transfers "private tags" which contains
    raw data direct from the scanner/probe to the files or to the archive.

    The Format is a internal format from GE. For example on a
    Vivid7 its possible to save/export raw-data within a standard
    dicom file. These raw-data are real raw-data direct from the
    scanner. It offers the possibility to take some measurements
    AFTER the acquisition.

    greets
    funke

+ Reply to Thread