How to define the compression status in a DICOM image without TS tag? - DICOM

This is a discussion on How to define the compression status in a DICOM image without TS tag? - DICOM ; I met a problem when I compressed a DICOM image. I found the file size after compression using JPEG2k is even BIGGER than the original image size! I tried to find the transfer syntax (TS) tag of this image but ...

  1. How to define the compression status in a DICOM image without TS tag?

    I met a problem when I compressed a DICOM image. I found the file size
    after compression using JPEG2k is even BIGGER than the original image
    size!

    I tried to find the transfer syntax (TS) tag of this image but failed.
    There is no Meta Elements (0002 group tag) in this image at all.
    Tag(0028,2110)=00.

    Anybody can help me explain the reason to this problem? Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: How to define the compression status in a DICOM image without TS tag?

    DICOM files without the meta header (group 0002) usually indicate that
    the file is stored in implicit little endian transfer syntax. However,
    you can not be sure. I guess one way of figuring out would be to
    inspect the pixel data itself and see if it contains any information if
    it being a compressed file (JPEG2k markers).

    Please note that a file without the meta header is not a legal DICOM
    file. Stored files must have the meta header to know which transfer
    syntax is used. The meta header is not transmitted with DICOM object.
    The Storage SCP must write a meta header before streaming down the
    received object.

    miaomiao@gmail.com wrote:
    > I met a problem when I compressed a DICOM image. I found the file size
    > after compression using JPEG2k is even BIGGER than the original image
    > size!
    >
    > I tried to find the transfer syntax (TS) tag of this image but failed.
    > There is no Meta Elements (0002 group tag) in this image at all.
    > Tag(0028,2110)=00.
    >
    > Anybody can help me explain the reason to this problem? Thanks a lot.

+ Reply to Thread