Encoding Type in DICOM files. - DICOM

This is a discussion on Encoding Type in DICOM files. - DICOM ; Hi, I am a new bie to DICOM, i am working on an assignment in which i have to parse a DICOM file and extract the image element out of the file and then write the image and the remaining ...

  1. Encoding Type in DICOM files.

    Hi,

    I am a new bie to DICOM, i am working on an assignment in which i have
    to parse a DICOM file and extract the image element out of the file and
    then write the image and the remaining part of the file seperately. I
    am using the Dcmtk toolkit. To write a file in the Dcmtk toolkit i need
    to know the encoding type. I have read the standard and as per my
    understanding the encoding type for files in native format (no
    compression) is explicit type and for files in compressed form is
    undefined type. To find this out i read the transfer syntax and
    interpret the encoding type.

    I have encountered a few files which are in compressed form and have an
    encoding type as explicit type, would be grateful if u could tell me
    wether these files are as per the standard and what is the correct way
    to get the encoding type while parsing the file, because as per the
    transfer syntax these files should have an encoding type of undefined
    type.

    Thanks !

  2. Re: Encoding Type in DICOM files.

    Encapsulated (compressed) transfer syntaxes are always explicit VR.

    David

    Mandeep wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a new bie to DICOM, i am working on an assignment in which i have
    > to parse a DICOM file and extract the image element out of the file and
    > then write the image and the remaining part of the file seperately. I
    > am using the Dcmtk toolkit. To write a file in the Dcmtk toolkit i need
    > to know the encoding type. I have read the standard and as per my
    > understanding the encoding type for files in native format (no
    > compression) is explicit type and for files in compressed form is
    > undefined type. To find this out i read the transfer syntax and
    > interpret the encoding type.
    >
    > I have encountered a few files which are in compressed form and have an
    > encoding type as explicit type, would be grateful if u could tell me
    > wether these files are as per the standard and what is the correct way
    > to get the encoding type while parsing the file, because as per the
    > transfer syntax these files should have an encoding type of undefined
    > type.
    >
    > Thanks !

+ Reply to Thread