Does the FDA verify the JPEG or JPEG2000 - DICOM

This is a discussion on Does the FDA verify the JPEG or JPEG2000 - DICOM ; Hi everybody, I hear that USA FDA has verified the JEPG/JEPG2000 like the PACS 510(k). But I just know that FDA only verify the PACS products and not single verify the JPEG. Does someone has heared about these message? Please ...

  1. Does the FDA verify the JPEG or JPEG2000

    Hi everybody,
    I hear that USA FDA has verified the JEPG/JEPG2000 like the PACS
    510(k). But I just know that FDA only verify the PACS products and not
    single verify the JPEG. Does someone has heared about these message?
    Please tell me which class number of the JPEG/JPEG2000 is.

    Seal Yang

  2. Re: Does the FDA verify the JPEG or JPEG2000

    The FDA does not verify compression standards. It isn't feasible to do so.

    Clinically safe compression depends not only on the standard's
    compression algorithm, but also on implementation factors such as
    the chosen degree of compression, the characteristics of the
    image (spatial frequency content, dynarmic range, etc.), and the
    particular compression implementation, which may be optimized
    for certain types of images.
    This is particularly so in JPEG2000 (and yet more so in MPEG).

    The standards allow significant variations or parameters for compression.
    Whereas all correct implementations decompress to obtain the same
    uncompressed original, compression results differ in quality,
    compression degree and susceptibility to artifacts, depending on the
    compression implementation's choice of parmaeters.

    You can only verify the clinical utility of an image compression
    implementation, and only for some range of images representative
    of those to be used in clinical practice with that implementation.

    - Doug

    "Kuo-Hsi Yang" wrote in message
    news:e7ea8991.0505310804.64259d3e@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi everybody,
    > I hear that USA FDA has verified the JEPG/JEPG2000 like the PACS
    > 510(k). But I just know that FDA only verify the PACS products and not
    > single verify the JPEG. Does someone has heared about these message?
    > Please tell me which class number of the JPEG/JPEG2000 is.
    >
    > Seal Yang

  3. Re: Does the FDA verify the JPEG or JPEG2000

    Thanks to Sluis reply. I have the question because some comapny
    pronounce their to pass the FDA approved JPEG/JEPG2000. I doubt it's
    true.

+ Reply to Thread