DICOM Worklists questions - DICOM

This is a discussion on DICOM Worklists questions - DICOM ; Hi All, I'm trying to learn about worklists and PACS, but unfortunately I'm not able to look how it works in real life. Maybe some questions I have are 'stupid', so please be patient and forbearing... Could someone explain me ...

  1. DICOM Worklists questions

    Hi All,
    I'm trying to learn about worklists and PACS, but unfortunately I'm not able
    to look how it works in real life. Maybe some questions I have are 'stupid',
    so please be patient and forbearing... Could someone explain me process of
    handling worklist?
    I would like to know:
    1) Do woklists are handled by part of PACS system?
    1) Is worklist always sent to the device only in response to modality's
    request? How modality is asking about it?
    2) How a task from current worklist is marked as 'done' after doing some
    studies by using modality - which component is responsible of removing tasks
    from worklist? Maybe it has to be done in manual way? What makes study
    recognizable as 'a response' of task given in worklist?
    3) When modality is asking system about current worklist the request can
    have parameters. Am I right? If yes, what it can be?
    4) If modality requests of worklist for more than one time in short period
    of time, the response always contain all records of worklist or only portion
    of data which is a difference from last response?

    Thanks in advance for Your response
    Maciek

  2. Re: DICOM Worklists questions

    Macias wrote:
    > 1) Do woklists are handled by part of PACS system?

    The DICOM standard does not specify which system implements which
    service, but typically the worklist is provided by the RIS and retrieved
    by the modality, without any direct involvement of the PACS.

    > 1) Is worklist always sent to the device only in response to modality's
    > request? How modality is asking about it?

    The modality has to request a worklist using the Modality Worklist
    Service Class. Basically, it sends a C-FIND-RQ message to the server
    and receives one or more C-FIND-RSP messages in response.

    > 2) How a task from current worklist is marked as 'done' after doing some
    > studies by using modality - which component is responsible of removing tasks
    > from worklist? Maybe it has to be done in manual way? What makes study
    > recognizable as 'a response' of task given in worklist?

    This can be implemented through the MPPS (Modality Performed Procedure
    Step) SOP Class which allows the modality to register performed
    procedure steps in relationship to the scheduled procedure steps from
    the worklist. Some worklist identifiers (such as the scheduled procedure
    step ID which identifies the worklist entry) can also be stored in the
    image header in some sequences, but this is optional.

    > 3) When modality is asking system about current worklist the request can
    > have parameters. Am I right? If yes, what it can be?

    Basically the modality sends a query that specifies which attributes the
    modality is interested in and that can also contain filtering
    information (such as: I am only interested in worklist entries for the
    modality "CR" or for the system with the aetitle "CR_IN_ROOM_100").

    > 4) If modality requests of worklist for more than one time in short period
    > of time, the response always contain all records of worklist or only portion
    > of data which is a difference from last response?

    The response always contains all worklist entries that match the query,
    no matter whether they are retrieved for the first time or not.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg

  3. Re: DICOM Worklists questions

    HI,
    Is it must that MWL and MPPS should be on same SCP, if not how RIS
    removes worklist which is already completed once after modalaity
    sending MPPS-SET with status as COMPLETED. Are there any incidents that
    RIS will still have worklist entries even after particluar worklist is
    fetched by modality and finished that study(worklist).

    Cheers...

    PS: Iam pushing images to PACS(storage service). Should MPPS service
    need to send to PACS now..

    Marco Eichelberg wrote:
    > Macias wrote:
    > > 1) Do woklists are handled by part of PACS system?

    > The DICOM standard does not specify which system implements which
    > service, but typically the worklist is provided by the RIS and retrieved
    > by the modality, without any direct involvement of the PACS.
    >
    > > 1) Is worklist always sent to the device only in response to modality's
    > > request? How modality is asking about it?

    > The modality has to request a worklist using the Modality Worklist
    > Service Class. Basically, it sends a C-FIND-RQ message to the server
    > and receives one or more C-FIND-RSP messages in response.
    >
    > > 2) How a task from current worklist is marked as 'done' after doing some
    > > studies by using modality - which component is responsible of removing tasks
    > > from worklist? Maybe it has to be done in manual way? What makes study
    > > recognizable as 'a response' of task given in worklist?

    > This can be implemented through the MPPS (Modality Performed Procedure
    > Step) SOP Class which allows the modality to register performed
    > procedure steps in relationship to the scheduled procedure steps from
    > the worklist. Some worklist identifiers (such as the scheduled procedure
    > step ID which identifies the worklist entry) can also be stored in the
    > image header in some sequences, but this is optional.
    >
    > > 3) When modality is asking system about current worklist the request can
    > > have parameters. Am I right? If yes, what it can be?

    > Basically the modality sends a query that specifies which attributes the
    > modality is interested in and that can also contain filtering
    > information (such as: I am only interested in worklist entries for the
    > modality "CR" or for the system with the aetitle "CR_IN_ROOM_100").
    >
    > > 4) If modality requests of worklist for more than one time in short period
    > > of time, the response always contain all records of worklist or only portion
    > > of data which is a difference from last response?

    > The response always contains all worklist entries that match the query,
    > no matter whether they are retrieved for the first time or not.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg

  4. Re: DICOM Worklists questions

    Radde wrote:
    > Is it must that MWL and MPPS should be on same SCP, if not how RIS
    > removes worklist which is already completed once after modalaity
    > sending MPPS-SET with status as COMPLETED.

    At least this is the normal case, i.e. MPPS going to the RIS.
    The IHE Technical Framework describes an entity (actor) named
    "PPS manager" that would forward one MPPS message to multiple
    recipients, enabling MPPS information to be available both at the
    RIS and the PACS.

    You should also note that most RIS systems will not automatically
    remove worklist entries once a corresponding MPPS has been completed -
    the operator of the modality may well have just selected the wrong
    worklist entry and pressed the wrong button, this just happens.
    Therefore, many systems will require a manual confirmation at the RIS
    or only remove the worklist entry once the report is written.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg

  5. Re: DICOM Worklists questions

    Thank you marco..You are right. Now iam assuming that modality itself
    act as PPS manager.

    You should also note that most RIS systems will not automatically
    > remove worklist entries once a corresponding MPPS has been completed -
    > the operator of the modality may well have just selected the wrong
    > worklist entry and pressed the wrong button, this just happens.
    > Therefore, many systems will require a manual confirmation at the RIS
    > or only remove the worklist entry once the report is written.

    How will the modality know that particular worklist(done through)
    is removed from RIS. If RIS doesnt remove that worklist, in case if
    modality queries for the same worklist which is already done, it
    results repeated SPS(PPS). How this is avoided or how to avoid this
    situation.

    Cheers..

    Marco Eichelberg wrote:
    > Radde wrote:
    > > Is it must that MWL and MPPS should be on same SCP, if not how RIS
    > > removes worklist which is already completed once after modalaity
    > > sending MPPS-SET with status as COMPLETED.

    > At least this is the normal case, i.e. MPPS going to the RIS.
    > The IHE Technical Framework describes an entity (actor) named
    > "PPS manager" that would forward one MPPS message to multiple
    > recipients, enabling MPPS information to be available both at the
    > RIS and the PACS.
    >
    > You should also note that most RIS systems will not automatically
    > remove worklist entries once a corresponding MPPS has been completed -
    > the operator of the modality may well have just selected the wrong
    > worklist entry and pressed the wrong button, this just happens.
    > Therefore, many systems will require a manual confirmation at the RIS
    > or only remove the worklist entry once the report is written.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg

  6. Re: DICOM Worklists questions

    Macias,

    for a beginer in DICOM, this book on DICOM might be useful:
    http://www.otechimg.com/pub_dicom.php?menu=pubs

    Herman O.

    Macias wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I'm trying to learn about worklists and PACS, but unfortunately I'm not able
    > to look how it works in real life. Maybe some questions I have are 'stupid',
    > so please be patient and forbearing... Could someone explain me process of
    > handling worklist?
    > I would like to know:
    > 1) Do woklists are handled by part of PACS system?
    > 1) Is worklist always sent to the device only in response to modality's
    > request? How modality is asking about it?
    > 2) How a task from current worklist is marked as 'done' after doing some
    > studies by using modality - which component is responsible of removing tasks
    > from worklist? Maybe it has to be done in manual way? What makes study
    > recognizable as 'a response' of task given in worklist?
    > 3) When modality is asking system about current worklist the request can
    > have parameters. Am I right? If yes, what it can be?
    > 4) If modality requests of worklist for more than one time in short period
    > of time, the response always contain all records of worklist or only portion
    > of data which is a difference from last response?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for Your response
    > Maciek

+ Reply to Thread