Study Instance UID uniqueness - DICOM

This is a discussion on Study Instance UID uniqueness - DICOM ; I need some advice, because I'm not sure how my acquisition device should handle Study Instance UID in the following situation. Say the device has acquired several series of image instances (all in the same study) and successfully sent them ...

  1. Study Instance UID uniqueness

    I need some advice, because I'm not sure how my acquisition device
    should handle Study Instance UID in the following situation.

    Say the device has acquired several series of image instances (all in
    the same study) and successfully sent them to a Store SCP. Later
    (hours, days, etc) the operator sends the same series to the same Store
    SCP a second time. (The operator may or may not have changed
    information in the instances, such as correcting the patient ID.) The
    question is, should Study Instance UID be different when the series are
    sent the second time?

    Reading PS 3.17 Annex J leads me to believe the Study Instance UID
    should be the same (especially if it was initially provided by a
    Modality Worklist SCP). Is that correct? Can anyone give me an idea of
    how this is handled in practice with and without a Study Instance UID
    provided by MWL?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: Study Instance UID uniqueness

    No, the Study Instance UID should definately not be changed. What will change is the SOP Instance UID.

    According to the PACS rules, the image needs to be reconciled, will be rejected or will just replace the exact same existing object if nothing has been changed on the new object.
    If the doctor has changed something on the object, a new SOP Instance UID will be created but the Study Instance UID will be maintained.

+ Reply to Thread