is DICOM SEND transactional? - DICOM

This is a discussion on is DICOM SEND transactional? - DICOM ; Hi, I'm developing a DICOM storage server, and I wonder if the DICOM protocol is transactional on network file exchange. If a client does a DICOM send to my server, sending to me a set of several DCM files, can ...

  1. is DICOM SEND transactional?

    Hi,

    I'm developing a DICOM storage server, and I wonder if the DICOM
    protocol is transactional on network file exchange.

    If a client does a DICOM send to my server, sending to me a set of
    several DCM files, can I know using a protocol implementation if I'm
    receiving a set of files instead of a single file, or if I'm receiving
    for example the second file of a five files set?

    More tech info: I'm developing my application in Java, using an open
    source Dicom Router (http://www.iftm.de/dicom/dicomrouter.htm) based on
    DCM4CHE Java library.

    Thanks in advance,

    Massimiliano Farnea

  2. Re: is DICOM SEND transactional?

    Except in special circumstances using information from outside the
    association on which you're receiving the instances (lets not call them
    files at this point), no you can't know how many to expect. That
    problem is the essence the problem in dicom systems engineering and
    the subject of a lot of heuristics in various commercial systems. The
    situations where you can know or at least a priori expect a specific
    set of instances arise when the images are being sent to you at your
    request: i.e. on a separate association you have initiated a C-MOVE
    operation and have either explicitly named the instances you've request
    or have queried to establish how many/what their UIDs. Other cases:
    your application is an MPPS SCP, has received a list of instances
    generated on a modality/evidence creator device via MPPS messaging, and
    is now receiving said images from said device. In this case you can
    "expect" that you will receive the complete set of instances, but if
    you don't, the absence of expected instances is merely an anomaly, not
    a failed transaction. There used to be a DICOM SOP class called Storage
    Committment Pull-Model where a device would send a message containing a
    list of instance UIDs in a request which basically said "I've got this
    list of instances and support query retrieve, come get them". However,
    that SOP class was retired and is no longer part of the standard

+ Reply to Thread