DICOM for waveforms - DICOM

This is a discussion on DICOM for waveforms - DICOM ; I'd like to use the DICOM protocol and file format for handling multi-channel waveforms, like neural responses and ECG. What modality can I use ? Thanks....

  1. DICOM for waveforms

    I'd like to use the DICOM protocol and file format for handling
    multi-channel waveforms, like neural responses and ECG.
    What modality can I use ?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: DICOM for waveforms

    Alex wrote:

    > I'd like to use the DICOM protocol and file format for handling
    > multi-channel waveforms, like neural responses and ECG.
    > What modality can I use ?

    Alex

    There are a family of SOP Classes (IOD) specifically for encoding
    time-based waveforms, including ECG and hemodynamic (pressure)
    waveforms. See PS 3.3 Section A.34.

    There is currently no specific SOP Class for "neural waveforms",
    by which I presume you mean EEG and auditory or visual evoked
    involved in DICOM and we don't know how (or why) to standardize
    what we don't understand. Obviously though, the waveform framework
    in DICOM could easily support such applications (any multichannel
    timebased waveform really), and such new SOP Classes could be
    defined, or private SOP Classes used in the interim.

    Having said all this, there is very little practical implementation
    of DICOM waveforms in products. Infinitt (http://www.infinitt.com/)
    and Excel Medical (http://www.excel-medical.com/) are the only
    commercial vendors I know of; I have added some very experimental
    waveform support to my PixelMed Java toolkit for ECG display
    (http://www.dclunie.com/pixelmed/soft...summary.html);
    the OpenECG consortium (http://www.openecg.net/) has an SCPECG to
    DICOM convertor.

    In interesting summary of non-DICOM neuro signal file formats is
    available at:

    http://bci.tugraz.at/~schloegl/matlab/eeg/

    David

  3. Re: DICOM for waveforms