jpeg codec. - DICOM

This is a discussion on jpeg codec. - DICOM ; Hi all, I am trying to decode the JPEG compressed DICOM images. I have a few qestions regarding this. 1. Is it a good idea to develop my own JPEG codec from the scratch? 2. Are there any libraries JAVA ...

  1. jpeg codec.

    Hi all,

    I am trying to decode the JPEG compressed DICOM images. I have a few
    qestions regarding this.

    1. Is it a good idea to develop my own JPEG codec from the scratch?
    2. Are there any libraries JAVA supports with to decode the images.
    Something like after I take the compressed data from its encapsulated
    shell can I decode it using java?
    3. Or are there any java source code provided codec or free codecs
    available on net?
    4. or are there any c/c++ codec available and come with source code for
    free on net??

    any answer regarding this topic will be encouraged...
    Thanking you,
    Rajesh Rapaka.

  2. Re: jpeg codec.

    Sun's 1.5 Java release includes JPEG encoding and decoding. Check
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/2d/api-jpeg/ to see if it
    will work for you.

    Jim

  3. Re: jpeg codec.

    Hi jim,
    thank you for the support. I've used it. It worked only for the Lossy
    compressed types somehow.

    does'nt java provide support for Lossless compression types? I believe
    somethinglike this should'nt be possible. is there any other method
    with which i can solve lossless compression types ?

    plz help,

    regards,
    Rajesh Rapaka.

  4. Re: jpeg codec.

    Java Image IO (JIIO). Now source code available from Sun.
    Supports JPEG lossy and lossless as well as JPEG-LS and
    JPEG 2000. Depends on some native codecs for some schemes,
    rather than pure Java, hence not available on all platforms.

    See the JAI page at:

    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/

    David

    Rajesh.Rapaka wrote:

    > Hi jim,
    > thank you for the support. I've used it. It worked only for the Lossy
    > compressed types somehow.
    >
    > does'nt java provide support for Lossless compression types? I believe
    > somethinglike this should'nt be possible. is there any other method
    > with which i can solve lossless compression types ?
    >
    > plz help,
    >
    > regards,
    > Rajesh Rapaka.

  5. Re: jpeg codec.

    Thank u very much. thats a complete answer.
    regards
    Rajesh Rapaka

+ Reply to Thread