Dataset Trailing Padding(FFFC,FFFC) tag in C_STORE_RQ messages - DICOM

This is a discussion on Dataset Trailing Padding(FFFC,FFFC) tag in C_STORE_RQ messages - DICOM ; Hello All, Our application is adding this attribute (at the end of the dataset) when images are stored to disk. After this, when these images are being sent via C_STORE, this tag is still present in the C_STORE_RQ message. The ...

  1. Dataset Trailing Padding(FFFC,FFFC) tag in C_STORE_RQ messages

    Hello All,

    Our application is adding this attribute (at the end of the dataset)
    when images are stored to disk.
    After this, when these images are being sent via C_STORE, this tag is still
    present in the C_STORE_RQ message.
    The question is,

    Is it legal, as per DICOM, if this tag is retained in the C_STORE_RQ message
    which is being sent across the network?
    Or do we have to remove this tag from the C_STORE_RQ message?

    Thanks in advance,
    Anand Mohan

  2. Re: Dataset Trailing Padding(FFFC,FFFC) tag in C_STORE_RQ messages

    John Smith wrote:

    > Our application is adding this attribute (at the end of the dataset)
    > when images are stored to disk.
    > After this, when these images are being sent via C_STORE, this tag is still
    > present in the C_STORE_RQ message.
    > The question is,
    >
    > Is it legal, as per DICOM, if this tag is retained in the C_STORE_RQ message
    > which is being sent across the network?
    > Or do we have to remove this tag from the C_STORE_RQ message?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Anand Mohan

    Hi John aka Anand

    There is no rule that I am aware of that says one should or should
    not remove Dataset Trailing Padding (FFFC,FFFC) when doing a C-STORE.

    From this I deduce that it is OK to send it, and one must accept it
    as a receiver.

    Having said that, since it's use was primarily intended for media
    (specifically for dual-personality files that needed non-DICOM
    header that wouldn't fit in the preamble, like TIFF), the contents
    of this tag are probably meaningless after a C-STORE, so it would
    be probably be OK to drop the tag on sending or receiving.

    But it would not be OK to fail or do something bad just because it
    is present.

    It could also be a source of PHI leakage for de-identifiers, now
    that I come to think of it.

    David

    PS. On a related matter, since there are other attributes that may
    follow (7FE0,0010) (such as (FFFA,FFFA) Digital Signatures Sequence),
    never assume that the pixel data is the end of the dataset, even at
    the top level.

+ Reply to Thread