IHE Modality Procedure Step In Progress - DICOM

This is a discussion on IHE Modality Procedure Step In Progress - DICOM ; I'm trying to understand IHE transaction and the related public comment version of supplement 89. Specifically, I am confused regarding the group case (section 4.6.4.1.2.3.4 in IHE Vol 2). Is there any commonality between the requested procedures and/or the SPSs ...

  1. IHE Modality Procedure Step In Progress

    I'm trying to understand IHE transaction and the
    related public comment version of supplement 89.
    Specifically, I am confused regarding the group
    case (section 4.6.4.1.2.3.4 in IHE Vol 2).

    Is there any commonality between the requested
    procedures and/or the SPSs with respect to the
    patient? Supplement 89, on page 35, indicates
    selection of multiple items from the worklist
    but I would expect these selections to refer to
    the same patient (same name, id, etc). Is this
    true? Were these details somehow overlooked when
    these documents were prepared?

    Put another way, should an acquisition modality
    restrict selection of multiple items from its
    received worklist to only those items that have
    the same patient's name and the same patient ID
    (and maybe even patient's sex, birth date, etc)?

    If the answer to this question is somehow "no",
    which set of patient identifying information
    should an acquisition modality use when creating
    the image objects (i.e. which worklist item)?

    One of the open issues on page 2 of supplement 89
    is asking whether or not patient attributes should
    be added to the set of key identifying attributes.
    I guess based on my own confusion, I would hope that
    these would be added in the final version.

    On page 9 of supplement 89, I can't find the
    "Referenced Request Sequence" in part 3 or part 6
    or anywhere else in the supplement. Does it have
    an assigned tag?

    Stephen

  2. Re: IHE Modality Procedure Step In Progress

    >I'm trying to understand IHE transaction and the
    >related public comment version of supplement 89.
    >Specifically, I am confused regarding the group
    >case (section 4.6.4.1.2.3.4 in IHE Vol 2).

    The group case has always been problematic.
    Welcome to the club

    >Is there any commonality between the requested
    >procedures and/or the SPSs with respect to the
    >patient? Supplement 89, on page 35, indicates
    >selection of multiple items from the worklist
    >but I would expect these selections to refer to
    >the same patient (same name, id, etc). Is this
    >true? Were these details somehow overlooked when
    >these documents were prepared?

    Table 7.3 in DICOM Part 3 shows the real world model of the modality/IS
    interface. It shows a hierachical information model with the patient at
    the top and 1-to-many relationships for items at lower levels,
    including RP and SPS's - so, yes they do refer to the same patient

    >Put another way, should an acquisition modality
    >restrict selection of multiple items from its
    >received worklist to only those items that have
    >the same patient's name and the same patient ID
    >(and maybe even patient's sex, birth date, etc)?

    The standard doesn't explicitly tell you to enforce that constraint;
    but it is implied by the information model. There might be cases where
    the IS providing the MWL could have received orders for the same person
    from different sources, and therefore might not have recognized
    different patients as the same person. I wouldn't go so far as to say
    the modality should never allow the operation to co-select entries
    which it thinks are different patients; but it is an exception case
    that at the very least, the modality should raise as a difficult to
    get past a warning.

    >If the answer to this question is somehow "no",
    >which set of patient identifying information
    >should an acquisition modality use when creating
    >the image objects (i.e. which worklist item)?

    Normally they would be the same. If the modality does allow distinct
    "patients to be selected in a single group, the exception logic should
    provide the user the ability to designate from which entry should be
    used for the patient identity attributes

    >One of the open issues on page 2 of supplement 89
    >is asking whether or not patient attributes should
    >be added to the set of key identifying attributes.
    >I guess based on my own confusion, I would hope that
    >these would be added in the final version.

    Referenced Request Sequence is part of the modality performed procedure
    step messages and is what the modality uses to identify which entries
    on the modality worklist were performed in the MPPS. The artifact of
    this inserted into the images is the Request Atttributes Sequence.

    On page 9 of supplement 89, I can't find the
    "Referenced Request Sequence" in part 3 or part 6
    or anywhere else in the supplement. Does it have
    an assigned tag?

+ Reply to Thread