Modality Worklist questions.. - DICOM

This is a discussion on Modality Worklist questions.. - DICOM ; Hi All, I'm newbie... I'm trying to understand worklist idea in DICOM. Unfortunatelly I don't have access to any dicom device and I cannot learn about it in real world. So I have some questions and I'll be grateful of ...

  1. Modality Worklist questions..

    Hi All,

    I'm newbie... I'm trying to understand worklist idea in DICOM.
    Unfortunatelly I don't have access to any dicom device and I cannot learn
    about it in real world. So I have some questions and I'll be grateful of any
    help:
    1. Do worklist always contain one study request or it can be created with
    more than one study request connected with the patient?
    2. When a worklist is already created in a hospital system, is it sent to
    dicom modality automatically or it is stored temporarly in the system and
    awaiting modality's request of worklist?
    3. Is dicom modality generate worklist request automatically or by an
    operator?
    4. Who can inicialize process of sending/receiving worklist? Only modality,
    only hospital system or both?

    BTW: Do You know a short one and good one explanation of DICOM modality
    worklist idea?

    Best Regards,
    Maciej

  2. Re: Modality Worklist questions..

    Macias wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm newbie... I'm trying to understand worklist idea in DICOM.
    > Unfortunatelly I don't have access to any dicom device and I cannot learn
    > about it in real world. So I have some questions and I'll be grateful of any
    > help:

    I 've recenlty started experimenting with Modality Worklists,
    unfortunately I cannot answer all your questions. You can try and
    download the OFFIS Dicom Toolkit, there is a worklist provider in there
    with a few worklist examples. You can query the Modality Worklist SCP
    (wlmscpfs.exe) with a simple tool that is also in the toolkit
    (findscu.exe). Have a look here:

    http://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk.php.en

    You need the binary versions if you don't want to compile them yourself.
    The executables are in there, unfortuantley the worklist examples are
    not. Therefore you need to download the source as well, if I remember
    correctly. The worklist files have to be converted first for the MWL SCP
    with the dump2dcm.exe tool first.

    > 1. Do worklist always contain one study request or it can be created with
    > more than one study request connected with the patient?

    I believe there can be multiple, but correct me if I'm wrong.

    > 2. When a worklist is already created in a hospital system, is it sent to
    > dicom modality automatically or it is stored temporarly in the system and
    > awaiting modality's request of worklist?

    As far as I know the worklist data is stored at the modality worklist
    provider (MWL SCP) and is never send but always queried by the modalaties.

    > 3. Is dicom modality generate worklist request automatically or by an
    > operator?

    It can be generated out of the data entered in a HIS (Hospital
    Information Service)/RIS (Radiology Information Service) which is
    entered by hand (patient registration) and by the HIS/RIS it self when a
    schedule is made.

    > 4. Who can inicialize process of sending/receiving worklist? Only modality,
    > only hospital system or both?

    As far as I have discovered the Worklist SCP has to be queried for the
    data by the modality. This can be done in two ways:

    1) a broad query every once in a while (as can often be specified on the
    modality), often based on imaging modality and date/time.
    2) a specified query when patient registration is done at the modality
    for instance part of the patient name, number or birthdate.

    > BTW: Do You know a short one and good one explanation of DICOM modality
    > worklist idea?

    Nope, unfortunatly not, but the worklist management service is explained
    in detail (techical documentation and therefore harder to read) in the
    DICOM standard part 4 Annex K.

    > Best Regards,
    > Maciej

    Good luck!