Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG - DICOM

This is a discussion on Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG - DICOM ; Hi all, I need to develop a command line application in C++ on Windows, to extract the first frame of image in DICOM files and convert the image into JPEG format. Need to handle the raw as well as JPEG ...

  1. Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG

    Hi all,
    I need to develop a command line application in C++ on Windows, to
    extract the first frame of image in DICOM files and convert the image
    into JPEG format. Need to handle the raw as well as JPEG images in
    DICOM files.

    Unfortunately, I'm on a very tight schedule and would love to have
    something to begin from. Is there any open source code avalilable
    (other than DCMTK) that will help me doing this?
    Thanks in advance,
    Shaji.

  2. Re: Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG

    On Jul 1, 8:50*am, shaji wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I need to develop a command line application in C++ on Windows, to
    > extract the first frame of image in DICOM files and convert the image
    > into JPEG format. *Need to handle the raw as well as JPEG images in
    > DICOM files.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I'm on a very tight schedule and would love to have
    > something to begin from. Is there any open source code avalilable
    > (other than DCMTK) that will help me doing this?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Shaji.

    Download dcmtk from dicom.offis.de
    Then use dcm2pnm to extract the frame you need.

  3. Re: Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG

    > Download dcmtk from dicom.offis.de
    > Then use dcm2pnm to extract the frame you need.

    I would suggest using dcmj2pnm [1] because of the required JPEG support.

    [1] http://support.dcmtk.org/docs/dcmj2pnm.html

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier

  4. Re: Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG

    On Jul 1, 7:50 am, shaji wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I need to develop a command line application in C++ on Windows, to
    > extract the first frame of image in DICOM files and convert the image
    > into JPEG format. Need to handle the raw as well as JPEG images in
    > DICOM files.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I'm on a very tight schedule and would love to have
    > something to begin from. Is there any open source code avalilable
    > (other than DCMTK) that will help me doing this?

    If you cannot use DCMTK, have a look at GDCM. It is written in C++,
    wrapped in python and available on Win32 and linux platform.

    Ref:

    http://gdcm.sf.net

    HTH
    -Mathieu

  5. Re: Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG

    On Jul 1, 7:50 am, shaji wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I need to develop a command line application in C++ on Windows, to
    > extract the first frame of image in DICOM files and convert the image
    > into JPEG format. Need to handle the raw as well as JPEG images in
    > DICOM files.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I'm on a very tight schedule and would love to have
    > something to begin from. Is there any open source code avalilable
    > (other than DCMTK) that will help me doing this?

    Aren't you selling this DICOM toolkit ? why aren't using your own
    product ?

    http://www.roniza.com/

    -M

  6. Re: Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG

    Thanks, Joerg Riesmeier and Roniza for rwsponding.
    I tried with dcmj2pnm but it seemed it could handle DICOM files with
    only 8 bit lossy JPEG compressed images and not those with higher bit
    depth. Is there any way to process JPEG encoded DICOM files with
    higher bit depths?
    Thanks,
    Shaji.

  7. Re: Need help to develop application in C++ to convert DICOM to JPEG

    > I tried with dcmj2pnm but it seemed it could handle DICOM files with
    > only 8 bit lossy JPEG compressed images and not those with higher bit
    > depth. Is there any way to process JPEG encoded DICOM files with
    > higher bit depths?

    This is not correct. Only the output is limited to JPEG baseline
    (8-bit lossy compression). For the input (JPEG compressed DICOM file),
    dcmj2pnm supports a multitude of lossless and lossy JPEG compression
    schemes ...

    Regards,
    Joerg Riesmeier

+ Reply to Thread