Required DICOM Tags with VM of 0 - DICOM

This is a discussion on Required DICOM Tags with VM of 0 - DICOM ; This whole thing about required and conditionally required tags is a bit confusing (my wife says I'm a master of understatement... :-) Anyway, If a tag is required in a specific IOD context, may it be there, but have an ...

  1. Required DICOM Tags with VM of 0

    This whole thing about required and conditionally required tags is a
    bit confusing (my wife says I'm a master of understatement... :-)

    Anyway, If a tag is required in a specific IOD context, may it be
    there, but have an empty value, resulting in a VM of 0? Or is that
    context sensitive as well?

    In general, I'm guessing that it is legal to have a tag with a Value
    Length of 0, which I suppose would mean the VM, of necessity, would
    also be 0, and the Value Field would be completely missing.

    -Kelly

  2. Re: Required DICOM Tags with VM of 0

    Kelly~~

    Yes, you are right. The type 2 elements are required and can be empty
    if their value is not known at the time of IOD creation.
    These elements will have a lenght of 0 and no content following them.
    As a consequence, the VM is 0 as well.
    Don't be fouled by the part 6 specification of tags which doesn't state
    for any tag that can have a VM of 0, which would be the case for type2
    elements.
    Maybe a clarification in this respect would be nice in the P.S. 3.5,
    section 6.4 - Value Multiplicity.

    ~~Razvan

+ Reply to Thread