telnet to port 104 - DICOM

This is a discussion on telnet to port 104 - DICOM ; Hi! I just had some problems establishing a DICOM conection to a machine (philips gamma camera version 7.7.2), I will call it "node". An ECHOSCU gave this debug output: [...] Requested Extended Negotiation: none Accepted Extended Negotiation: none echoscu: Association ...

  1. telnet to port 104

    Hi!

    I just had some problems establishing a DICOM conection to a machine
    (philips gamma camera version 7.7.2), I will call it "node".

    An ECHOSCU gave this debug output:
    [...]
    Requested Extended Negotiation: none
    Accepted Extended Negotiation: none
    echoscu: Association Request Failed:
    0006:031b Failed to establish association
    0006:0317 Peer aborted Association (or never connected)
    0006:031c TCP Initialization Error: Connection refused

    Seemed to me as if there was noone listening. I tried a "telnet node
    104", and got a "Connection refused" error instantaneously. "nmap
    node" also showed port 104 as closed.

    Well, can I assume now that DICOM communication is impossible? I would
    think so.

    But there was at least another node (an e.soft station) which had no
    problem in transferring data to node. telnet from this windows machine
    runing e.soft also seemed to abort instantaneously, instead of waiting
    for some input from my side.

    Does someone have an explanation? Is it possible that the problem lies
    on my side, not on the apparently not listening remote node?

    Thanks for any help,

    Alex
    --
    Alex Schuster Wonko@wonkology.org
    alex@pet.mpin-koeln.mpg.de

  2. Re: telnet to port 104

    You can check if the port is the right. 104 is the default for Dicom, but
    vendors can deceide to choose anothers ports.
    "Alex Schuster" a écrit dans le message de
    > Hi!
    >
    > I just had some problems establishing a DICOM conection to a machine
    > (philips gamma camera version 7.7.2), I will call it "node".
    >
    > An ECHOSCU gave this debug output:
    > [...]
    > Requested Extended Negotiation: none
    > Accepted Extended Negotiation: none
    > echoscu: Association Request Failed:
    > 0006:031b Failed to establish association
    > 0006:0317 Peer aborted Association (or never connected)
    > 0006:031c TCP Initialization Error: Connection refused
    >
    > Seemed to me as if there was noone listening. I tried a "telnet node
    > 104", and got a "Connection refused" error instantaneously. "nmap
    > node" also showed port 104 as closed.
    >
    > Well, can I assume now that DICOM communication is impossible? I would
    > think so.
    >
    > But there was at least another node (an e.soft station) which had no
    > problem in transferring data to node. telnet from this windows machine
    > runing e.soft also seemed to abort instantaneously, instead of waiting
    > for some input from my side.
    >
    > Does someone have an explanation? Is it possible that the problem lies
    > on my side, not on the apparently not listening remote node?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Alex
    > --
    > Alex Schuster Wonko@wonkology.org
    > alex@pet.mpin-koeln.mpg.de

  3. Re: telnet to port 104

    There could be a number of reason for this.

    First of all, the default port for telnet is 23, not 104. So even if
    the system allows you to connect by telnet, it might not allow telnet
    at port 104 (even if DICOM communication takes place on port 104, that
    doesn't automatically tell you that telnet is allowed to the same
    port).

    Many systems doesn't allow any communication to take place if the
    requesting node (your computer i assume in this case) isn't declared on
    the server (the gamma camera). Hence, that might be another possible
    reason for the C-ECHO-failure.

  4. Re: telnet to port 104

    Alex Schuster wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I just had some problems establishing a DICOM conection to a machine
    > (philips gamma camera version 7.7.2), I will call it "node".
    >
    > An ECHOSCU gave this debug output:
    > [...]
    > Requested Extended Negotiation: none
    > Accepted Extended Negotiation: none
    > echoscu: Association Request Failed:
    > 0006:031b Failed to establish association
    > 0006:0317 Peer aborted Association (or never connected)
    > 0006:031c TCP Initialization Error: Connection refused
    >
    > Seemed to me as if there was noone listening. I tried a "telnet node
    > 104", and got a "Connection refused" error instantaneously. "nmap
    > node" also showed port 104 as closed.
    >
    > Well, can I assume now that DICOM communication is impossible? I would
    > think so.
    >
    > But there was at least another node (an e.soft station) which had no
    > problem in transferring data to node. telnet from this windows machine
    > runing e.soft also seemed to abort instantaneously, instead of waiting
    > for some input from my side.
    >
    > Does someone have an explanation? Is it possible that the problem lies
    > on my side, not on the apparently not listening remote node?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Alex

    Alex,

    First of all you have to check if the node can act as an echoSCP or SCP
    of any kind. Perhaps it only functions as a StoreSCU, which means
    traffic will be initiated by the node on a random port (outgoing socket).
    Laurent is right, port 104 is often used for DICOM, but it is not
    mandatory.
    If the requesting node isn't declared on
    the server (the gamma camera) and the port is right, you should get an
    association rejection instead of a TCP error. If you get TCP
    Initialization errors, the problem is on network level, not on DICOM level.

    I would advise you to get the Dicom conformance statement of the camera,
    to learn about the posibilities, and contact Philips service for the
    exact ports, AE's.

    Best regards,

    Geert

  5. Re: telnet to port 104

    laurent-lecomte-81@wanadoo.fr (Laurent Lecomte) wrote:

    > You can check if the port is the right. 104 is the default for Dicom, but
    > vendors can deceide to choose anothers ports.

    The port is set to the usual 104, I verified this.

    Alex
    --
    Alex Schuster Wonko@wonkology.org PGP Key available
    alex@pet.mpin-koeln.mpg.de

  6. Re: telnet to port 104

    In order to be of more help, you could post a more specific
    identification of the Philips Gamma Camera. There are several different
    model/lines out there since Philips had both their own Nuc Med line of
    equipment and purchased other companies Nuc Med divisions. Searching
    for dicom conformance for different brand names, I found several dicom
    conformance statements. This one being the most recent

    http://www.medical.philips.com/main/...9206-0000c.pdf

    The above document seems to indicate the Phillips Vertex supports
    outgoing DICOM connections only, as a previous poster indicated was a
    possibility. To verify DICOM communications, consider initiating a
    DICOM ping (Verification) outgoing from the gamma camera console.
    I've previously integrated Philips Vertex and Pegasus systems with PACS
    and have a hazy recollection of having a fairly non-intuitive interface
    for registering external applications the camera console before would
    talk to external systems.

+ Reply to Thread