modality for bone mineral density scan - DICOM

This is a discussion on modality for bone mineral density scan - DICOM ; Hello everyone, What is the official modality for bone mineral density scans? I've been looking through this group, as well as the DICOM standard, but can't really find the modality for bone mineral density scans. I was thingking about PX ...

  1. modality for bone mineral density scan

    Hello everyone,

    What is the official modality for bone mineral density scans? I've been
    looking through this group, as well as the DICOM standard, but can't
    really find the modality for bone mineral density scans.

    I was thingking about PX - for panoramic X-Ray, but not sure?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: modality for bone mineral density scan

    The result of a bone densitometry scan is normally a report containing
    images, numeric data and graphs that describes the density data in
    relationship to the statistical normative reference. The objects I have
    seen so far has been exported to PACS as secondary capture (SC)
    objects.

    Please note that this is my personal experience, and I wouldn't claim
    that this is the "standard" behaviour, but I'm sure that the experts
    following this group will answer that for you.

  3. Re: modality for bone mineral density scan

    The objects I've seen, from a hologic bone densitometer device, are
    also secondary capture images which include low resolution images,
    graphic annoations burned into the pixels (showing lines where the
    density profiles have been calculated) and tables of measurements,
    again burned into the SC image pixels -- something like what you would
    get when you "print" a word document to a fax print driver on your PC.
    However there is a dicom field in the SC object, patient comments I
    think, which contains an XML representation of the same data (sans the
    low res images) --ie. sort of a poor mans SR. Really the report should
    be represented as an SR but I don't think there is standard template
    for it. I don't have one of these images handy but I believe modality
    code was BD (for bone densitometry). That's not a standard modality
    code in DICOM, but few systems really pay attention to modality codes
    for secondary capture images anyway.

  4. Re: modality for bone mineral density scan

    Correction to my early statement. Looked through my image library and
    found Hologic bone densitometer images. They are Secondary Capture SOP
    class images with a modality code=OT (i.e. "other"). The customer
    owning the machine had asked for the modality code in the images to be
    coerced from OT to BD to allow sorting on PACS workstations by modality
    type. This would provide separation of bone densitometry images from
    other items also assigned OT modality code (like scanned film). As
    noted in previous posting, BD isn't a DICOM standard defined modality
    code. Some applications enforce constraints on series modality code
    (0008,0060) and object SOP class. However, the PACS software at this
    institution was forgiving with SC SOP class images, basically allowing
    any modality code value.

+ Reply to Thread