MPPS Instance. - DICOM

This is a discussion on MPPS Instance. - DICOM ; HI, I want to know where exactly MPPS instance is been created(MOdality or IS(RIS)). I was reading PS3.4 Annex M. Iam not able to understand these statements. M.2.1 The modality may: - N-CREATE a MPPS SOP Instance and include its ...

  1. MPPS Instance.

    HI,
    I want to know where exactly MPPS instance is been created(MOdality
    or IS(RIS)). I was reading PS3.4 Annex M. Iam not able to understand
    these statements.

    M.2.1
    The modality may:
    - N-CREATE a MPPS SOP Instance and include its SOP Instance UID in
    the Image SOPInstances within the Referenced Performed Procedure Step
    Sequence Attribute

    What does this "N-CREATE a MPPS SOP Instance" sentence mean?. Is it
    modality has to create or IS will create it..

    M2.2
    In the absence of the ability to N-CREATE a MPPS SOP Instance, generate
    a MPPS SOP Instance UID and include it into Referenced Performed
    Procedure Step Sequence Attribute of the Image SOP Instances.A system
    that later N-CREATEs a MPPS SOP Instance
    may use this UID extracted from the related Image SOP Instances.

    In the above situtaion who actually creates MPPS instance? If modality
    is not supporting MPPS or if there is no RIS or MPPS SCP, whats the
    point in creating this MPPS instance.

    Again the below sentence says creating MPPS Instance, its already
    created in the previous sentence.
    "A system that later N-CREATEs a MPPS SOP Instance
    may use this UID extracted from the related Image SOP Instances".

    Its really confusing. Pls help me..

    Regards

  2. Re: MPPS Instance.

    There is a SOP Class for MPPS.

    The Modality is the SCU of the SOP Class - it sends the N-CREATE
    request to the RIS (or PACS) which is the SCP of the SOP Class.

    The instance of the MPPS that is created then "lives" in the SCP,
    i.e., the RIS.

    Later, the Modality (SCU) will update the information with N-SET
    commands to the RIS (SCP), until it is is finished, at which time
    it will N-SET the status to completed.

    In addition to creating an MPPS instance that lives on the SCP,
    the Modality should also be including a reference to the UID
    of that MPPS in the image objects, since these objects may be
    stored somewhere else than the recipient of the MPPS, and this
    helps link everything together (though the complete set of such
    images will have been N-SET in the SCP MPPS before the step is
    completed, which gives a link in the other direction).

    The M2.2 scenario is describing the case where the Modality
    internally models the concept of an MPPS, and hence has a
    UID to put in the images, but does not for some reason have
    a means of actually creating an MPPS on an MPPS SCP for some
    reason (e.g., the RIS or PACS is not an MPPS SCP, or the link
    to the SCP is down temporarily); obviously if the Modality were
    not an SCU of the MPPS SOP Class, it would be unlikely to have
    a UID to put in the images.

    One reason to put the MPPS UID in the images even if the Modality
    cannot N-CREATE an MPPS on the RIS is that there may be some
    device or box looking at the images that can extract this
    information and make use of it in some way, now or in the future,
    even though MPPS is not formally supported in the system, or as
    mentioned, to allow recovery from a transient failure on the MPPS
    link.

    Note that the SCU is required in MPPS to supply the SOP Instance UID
    of the MPPS being created; this is not true of all N-CREATE operations
    in DICOM but is a specific requirement for MPPS in order to make sure
    that the SCU knows the UID (for inclusion in the images), as described
    in PS 3.4 F.7.2.1.2, although the SCU could easily capture and cache
    the Affected SOP Instance UID that is required to be returned in the
    N-CREATE response were it not supplied by the SCU. The additional
    requirement anticipates that the images might already have been
    encoded before the MPPS N-CREATE is actually sent (undesirable, but
    possible).

    David

    Radde wrote:

    > HI,
    > I want to know where exactly MPPS instance is been created(Modality
    > or IS(RIS)). I was reading PS3.4 Annex M. Iam not able to understand
    > these statements.
    >
    > M.2.1
    > The modality may:
    > - N-CREATE a MPPS SOP Instance and include its SOP Instance UID in
    > the Image SOPInstances within the Referenced Performed Procedure Step
    > Sequence Attribute
    >
    > What does this "N-CREATE a MPPS SOP Instance" sentence mean?. Is it
    > modality has to create or IS will create it..
    >
    > M2.2
    > In the absence of the ability to N-CREATE a MPPS SOP Instance, generate
    > a MPPS SOP Instance UID and include it into Referenced Performed
    > Procedure Step Sequence Attribute of the Image SOP Instances.A system
    > that later N-CREATEs a MPPS SOP Instance
    > may use this UID extracted from the related Image SOP Instances.
    >
    > In the above situtaion who actually creates MPPS instance? If modality
    > is not supporting MPPS or if there is no RIS or MPPS SCP, whats the
    > point in creating this MPPS instance.
    >
    > Again the below sentence says creating MPPS Instance, its already
    > created in the previous sentence.
    > "A system that later N-CREATEs a MPPS SOP Instance
    > may use this UID extracted from the related Image SOP Instances".
    >
    > Its really confusing. Pls help me..
    >
    > Regards

  3. Re: MPPS Instance.

    David Clunie wrote:
> [...]

    > > modality has to create or IS will create it..
    > >
    > > M2.2
    > > In the absence of the ability to N-CREATE a MPPS SOP Instance,

    generate
    > > a MPPS SOP Instance UID and include it into Referenced Performed
    > > Procedure Step Sequence Attribute of the Image SOP Instances.A

    system
    > > that later N-CREATEs a MPPS SOP Instance
    > > may use this UID extracted from the related Image SOP Instances.
    > >
    > > In the above situtaion who actually creates MPPS instance? If

    modality
    > > is not supporting MPPS or if there is no RIS or MPPS SCP, whats the
    > > point in creating this MPPS instance.
    > >
    > > Again the below sentence says creating MPPS Instance, its already
    > > created in the previous sentence.
    > > "A system that later N-CREATEs a MPPS SOP Instance
    > > may use this UID extracted from the related Image SOP Instances".

    When the modality is SCU and there is SCP(RIS/PACS) and is running, and
    the flow is fine..Here MPPS instance is created in SCP(RIS) and stored.
    Same MPPS instance UID is sent back to SCU with N-CREATE-RSP and
    modality uses this MPPS Instance UID as a reference UID(Referenced
    Performed Procedure Step Sequence Attribute) in all image instances it
    generates. Hope this correct.

    In second scenerio, when there is no SCP(RIS) or SCP is down...In this
    case what do you mean by modality or SCU creating MPPS SOP instance
    UID, Is it just creating one UID or is it creating MPPS Object(i mean
    is it same as how SCP creates MPPS instance). I got stuck up here..

    Assuming if modality create MPPS instance, then what does this sentence
    mean
    "A system that later N-CREATEs a MPPS SOP Instance
    may use this UID extracted from the related Image SOP Instances".
    MPPS Instance is already created by modality, again who will create or
    which system will create MPPS instance UID.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread