Information/tips on DICOM worklists - DICOM

This is a discussion on Information/tips on DICOM worklists - DICOM ; Hi! Does some one of you know where to find information on the worklist feature in DICOM? I've been browsing through the NEMA standard, but have not been able to find a thing... I would like to know more about ...

  1. Information/tips on DICOM worklists

    Hi!

    Does some one of you know where to find information on the worklist
    feature in DICOM? I've been browsing through the NEMA standard, but have
    not been able to find a thing...

    I would like to know more about the details of Worlist SCP's inorder to
    decide if it is possible for our organisation to implement it together
    with our electonic medical patient information system.

    URL's or pointers to information will be very much appreciated!

    Thanks in advance!

    Jonathan

  2. Re: Information/tips on DICOM worklists

    Hello Jonathan,

    You can find the DICOM reference at Mr David Clunie's website the
    address is as follows http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html.

    Please the read the following articles
    Supplement 10, 52, 89, 96 & 264.

    To test dicom worklist, I recommend DCMTK. Easy to understand and test.
    There are many post in this group how to configure and test DCMTK's
    worklist feature. If you want let me know I will guide you to the right
    url.

    With regards
    Ravindran Padmanabhan.

  3. Re: Information/tips on DICOM worklists

    Jonathan wrote:

    > Does some one of you know where to find information on the worklist
    > feature in DICOM? I've been browsing through the NEMA standard, but have
    > not been able to find a thing...
    >
    > I would like to know more about the details of Worklist SCP's inorder to
    > decide if it is possible for our organisation to implement it together
    > with our electronic medical patient information system.

    DICOM defines the tools necessary to exchange worklists, either between
    a scheduling system and an acquisition device (Modality Worklist), or
    in a more general sense between a scheduling and performing device
    (General Purpose Worklist/Procedure Step).

    Unfortunately the DICOM standard itself does not put this into context
    except in so far as an information model is defined and specific
    attributes and codes are described. This information is probably at
    too low a level of detail to make the kind of decision you are
    describing.

    One way to get a sense of how these worklists might be used in the
    real world is to read the IHE technical frameworks that address
    this, and in particular examining the role of worklists in the
    Scheduled Workflow, Reporting Workflow and Postprocessing Workflow
    integration profiles. See:

    http://www.ihe.net/tf/index.html

    In terms of practical deployment, provision of Modality Worklist is
    ubiquitous, and indeed one should never buy a modality or a RIS/PACS
    that does not support it. Support of the corresponding Modality
    Performed Procedure Step is less widespread, and support of the
    General Purpose service is hardly implemented at all, largely it
    would seem because vendors yet have little motivation to support
    factoring out functionality that is traditionally buried "within" a
    monolithic PACS.

    David

  4. Re: Information/tips on DICOM worklists

    Jonathan,

    > Does some one of you know where to find information on the worklist
    > feature in DICOM? I've been browsing through the NEMA standard, but have
    > not been able to find a thing...

    The worklist management service is explained in detail in the DICOM
    standard part 4 Annex K.

    For a working worklist management SCP, check out the wlmscpfs
    application that comes for free and in complete source code in DCMTK,
    see http://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk.

    For support on wlmscpfs, see the forum at http://forum.dcmtk.org.

    Also important for you: DCMTK is available for many platforms and you
    are free to use program and code (maybe also in a modified version) in
    any of your projects, as long as you mention DCMTK in your application's
    about box and manual.

    Regards,
    Thomas Wilkens
    OFFIS

  5. Re: Information/tips on DICOM worklists

    Thomas Wilkens wrote:

    > Jonathan,
    >
    >> Does some one of you know where to find information on the worklist
    >> feature in DICOM? I've been browsing through the NEMA standard, but
    >> have not been able to find a thing...

    > The worklist management service is explained in detail in the DICOM
    > standard part 4 Annex K.
    >
    > For a working worklist management SCP, check out the wlmscpfs
    > application that comes for free and in complete source code in DCMTK,
    > see http://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk.
    >
    > For support on wlmscpfs, see the forum at http://forum.dcmtk.org.
    >
    > Also important for you: DCMTK is available for many platforms and you
    > are free to use program and code (maybe also in a modified version) in
    > any of your projects, as long as you mention DCMTK in your application's
    > about box and manual.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Thomas Wilkens
    > OFFIS

    Thanks for your reply. I was already experimenting with the OFFIS DCMTK,
    hence my questions. The problem with this is that I'm not used to C
    programming and find it hard to find out how to apply and use the code.

    Therefore I thought to get the DICOM worlist part clear to me first!

    Jonathan

  6. Re: Information/tips on DICOM worklists

    Rady wrote:
    > Hello Jonathan,
    >
    > You can find the DICOM reference at Mr David Clunie's website the
    > address is as follows http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-status/status.html.
    >
    > Please the read the following articles
    > Supplement 10, 52, 89, 96 & 264.
    >
    > To test dicom worklist, I recommend DCMTK. Easy to understand and test.
    > There are many post in this group how to configure and test DCMTK's
    > worklist feature. If you want let me know I will guide you to the right
    > url.
    >
    > With regards
    > Ravindran Padmanabhan.

    Thanks I will have a look at it!