Series Number - DICOM

This is a discussion on Series Number - DICOM ; HI, Are Series Number and Study ID generated at the modality or any Server(RIS/PACS). Are there any mechanism or standard to follow to generate those. Regards...

  1. Series Number

    HI,
    Are Series Number and Study ID generated at the modality or any
    Server(RIS/PACS). Are there any mechanism or standard to follow to
    generate those.

    Regards

  2. Re: Series Number

    Both are normally generated by the modality. The standard is silent on
    the content of the fields, except for their value representation.

    Series ID is often woefully abused by the modality vendors, many
    assigning the value "1" to most/all series in the study. This makes it
    not terribly useful as an index value for applications to do operations
    such as sorting a presentation list of series in a study. Thus it is
    also not unusually for Series ID values within a study to be coerced to
    a different value (in cases where these things are done).

    Study ID is different. Modalities usually generate Study ID, when they
    generate them. Since Study ID has not been co-opted into a framework
    for cross system integration or workflow, one would think it would also
    be available to be coerced with some other identifier at the
    convenience of the PACS/storage SCP. However, the modality console
    application often uses maintains a hidden database of information about
    studies it has previously acquired. This information is retained after
    the study is no longer resident on the modality console. If the study
    is returned to the modality console, the Study ID is the key that
    database uses to look up information about the study. It may also be
    used to keep track of CD, DVD, or MO disk where the study was backed up
    from the modality (just in case that damn pacs vendor screws it up and
    loses it). All these things are proprietary features - the standard
    doesn't say what you do with it or how it is used. If you're a
    modality, do whatever you please with your study id. If you're a
    pacs/external app, change it at your own risk of screwing up whatever
    the modality vendor intended it for.

  3. Re: Series Number

    Thank you eric,
    I feel standard has to do something for this. Generating study ID at
    the modality might lead to problems like One Study instance UID may
    have multipe study IDs, i dont know wheather this is valid in standard.
    eric.goodall@gmail.com wrote:
    > Both are normally generated by the modality. The standard is silent

    on
    > the content of the fields, except for their value representation.
    >
    > Series ID is often woefully abused by the modality vendors, many
    > assigning the value "1" to most/all series in the study. This makes

    it
    > not terribly useful as an index value for applications to do

    operations
    > such as sorting a presentation list of series in a study. Thus it is
    > also not unusually for Series ID values within a study to be coerced

    > a different value (in cases where these things are done).
    >
    > Study ID is different. Modalities usually generate Study ID, when

    they
    > generate them. Since Study ID has not been co-opted into a framework
    > for cross system integration or workflow, one would think it would

    also
    > be available to be coerced with some other identifier at the
    > convenience of the PACS/storage SCP. However, the modality console
    > application often uses maintains a hidden database of information

    about
    > studies it has previously acquired. This information is retained

    after
    > the study is no longer resident on the modality console. If the study
    > is returned to the modality console, the Study ID is the key that
    > database uses to look up information about the study. It may also be
    > used to keep track of CD, DVD, or MO disk where the study was backed

    up
    > from the modality (just in case that damn pacs vendor screws it up

    and
    > loses it). All these things are proprietary features - the standard
    > doesn't say what you do with it or how it is used. If you're a
    > modality, do whatever you please with your study id. If you're a
    > pacs/external app, change it at your own risk of screwing up whatever
    > the modality vendor intended it for.

+ Reply to Thread