Annotations on Color Image - DICOM

This is a discussion on Annotations on Color Image - DICOM ; HI, Whats the best mechanism to handle annotations(both text and graphical) on color images. Regards...

  1. Annotations on Color Image

    HI,
    Whats the best mechanism to handle annotations(both text and
    graphical) on color images.

    Regards

  2. Re: Annotations on Color Image

    > Whats the best mechanism to handle annotations(both text and
    > graphical) on color images.

    Look at the DICOM Presentation States and for color images at supplement 100
    (available on the nema-server).

    regards, Andreas

  3. Re: Annotations on Color Image

    HI,
    I Saw in nema-server, color softcopy presentation is not yet
    finalized. Is Color presenataion state is the only standard way to
    store annotations. Can i make use of overlay plane module(optional
    module) to store annotations or any other standard methods are there in
    dicom. How about structutered reports?

    Regards

    Andreas Schröter wrote:
    > > Whats the best mechanism to handle annotations(both text and
    > > graphical) on color images.
    > >

    > Look at the DICOM Presentation States and for color images at

    supplement 100
    > (available on the nema-server).
    >
    > regards, Andreas

  4. Re: Annotations on Color Image

    > I Saw in nema-server, color softcopy presentation is not yet
    > finalized. Is Color presenataion state is the only standard way to
    > store annotations. Can i make use of overlay plane module(optional
    > module) to store annotations or any other standard methods are there in
    >dicom. How about structutered reports?

    For color-images you are right. But for grayscale images these presentation
    states are already released. And that little changes for color image support
    is really less work - even if the nema will change this or that item in the
    color presentation state supplement.

    SR cannot contain annotations, it refers to DICOM images and perhaps
    presentation states. Overlays would do the job, but then they are "fixed"
    and you cannot move a line or a circle afterwards. And if you zoom that
    images, your overlay annotations will look like ... um... huge blocks.

    Cheers, Andreas

  5. Re: Annotations on Color Image

    Thank you andreas,
    we need to wait for color presentation state to release. How the
    current color image generating modality are handling annotations on
    color images. SR document refers to presenatation state for
    annotations? Is this right?
    Anyway thank you.

    Regards
    Andreas Schröter wrote:
    > > I Saw in nema-server, color softcopy presentation is not yet
    > > finalized. Is Color presenataion state is the only standard way to
    > > store annotations. Can i make use of overlay plane module(optional
    > > module) to store annotations or any other standard methods are

    there in
    > >dicom. How about structutered reports?

    > For color-images you are right. But for grayscale images these

    presentation
    > states are already released. And that little changes for color image

    support
    > is really less work - even if the nema will change this or that item

    in the
    > color presentation state supplement.
    >
    > SR cannot contain annotations, it refers to DICOM images and perhaps
    > presentation states. Overlays would do the job, but then they are

    "fixed"
    > and you cannot move a line or a circle afterwards. And if you zoom

    that
    > images, your overlay annotations will look like ... um... huge

    blocks.

    > Cheers, Andreas

  6. Re: Annotations on Color Image

    Gurikar wrote:
    > we need to wait for color presentation state to release. How the
    > current color image generating modality are handling annotations on
    > color images. SR document refers to presenatation state for
    > annotations? Is this right?

    Just to add a few notes on the earlier discussion. Color presentation
    states are really the way to go, even if it will take some time before
    they are widely supported. Overlay Planes cannot be used with color
    images, they are defined for monohcrome only. Structured reports
    allow you to store text and reference to images, but they have no
    well-defined presentation layout, so they are not suitable (nor
    intended) for storing graphical annotations.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg

  7. Re: Annotations on Color Image

    Thank you.
    > Overlay Planes cannot be used with color images, they are defined

    for monohcrome only.

    VL Image IOD (color image)PS3.3 page 127, is having overplane module as
    optional. So standard says we can have overlays in an dicom image(over
    plane module). Iam confused about what to use to store(Save) graphical
    and text annotations on color image.

    Structured reports
    > allow you to store text and reference to images, but they have no
    > well-defined presentation layout, so they are not suitable (nor
    > intended) for storing graphical annotations.

    I have seen in Structured reports document (suppl 23) that is having
    value type SCORD which stores coordiante points, does it mean that
    coordiante points of graphical annotations?

    Thank you for your comments
    Marco Eichelberg wrote:
    > Gurikar wrote:
    > > we need to wait for color presentation state to release. How

    the
    > > current color image generating modality are handling annotations on
    > > color images. SR document refers to presenatation state for
    > > annotations? Is this right?

    > Just to add a few notes on the earlier discussion. Color presentation

    > states are really the way to go, even if it will take some time

    before
    > they are widely supported. Overlay Planes cannot be used with color
    > images, they are defined for monohcrome only. Structured reports
    > allow you to store text and reference to images, but they have no
    > well-defined presentation layout, so they are not suitable (nor
    > intended) for storing graphical annotations.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg

+ Reply to Thread