Orientation of fingerprint image - DICOM

This is a discussion on Orientation of fingerprint image - DICOM ; I am a 4th year software engineering student and I have to design and programme a fingerprint recognition system. I am developing my project in C# and have come across a problem which I have being stuck on for 2 ...

  1. Orientation of fingerprint image

    I am a 4th year software engineering student and I have to design and
    programme a fingerprint recognition system. I am developing my project
    in C# and have come across a problem which I have being stuck on for 2
    months now. I am trying to find the orientation image of the
    fingerprint so that I can later enhance the print and then be able to
    extract the minutiae points with the direction of the minutiae points.
    Basically the way I was doing it was to take every pixel and find the
    orientation of the block of pixels around it using sobel. And do this
    for every pixel. Then smooth it. But this is not working and maybe I
    am doing it completely wrong.

    If anyone could point me in the right direction i would be very
    grateful.

    Thnaks in advance.
    Keith

  2. Re: Orientation of fingerprint image

    Keith~~

    Maybe you should try some Hough Transform on that image and use the
    line information you'd obtain from that to extract a general image
    orientation.
    Or you can try some interpolation and derivative calculation on small
    sets of pixel data .

    In any case, you totally got the wrong forum for asking that :-).
    This is a medical-information standards forum, not an image-processing
    forum.

    HTH
    ~~Razvan

+ Reply to Thread