Name of DICOM tag Groups - DICOM

This is a discussion on Name of DICOM tag Groups - DICOM ; Hi to everybody. I have quite a simple question: the standard DICOM Dictionary (PS 3.6) lists all standard DICOM data elements, with their tags (group number, element number), names, VRs and VMs. While there are many different data elements in ...

  1. Name of DICOM tag Groups

    Hi to everybody.

    I have quite a simple question: the standard DICOM Dictionary (PS 3.6)
    lists all standard DICOM data elements, with their tags (group number,
    element number), names, VRs and VMs.

    While there are many different data elements in the standard DICOM
    dictionary, there are only a few Groups (i.e., different group
    numbers). Is there a place in the DICOM standard where each different
    tag group is assigned a name or a textual description? For instance,
    is there an "official" name for the DICOM group (0008,*)?

    Thank you and best regards,

    Marco.

  2. Re: Name of DICOM tag Groups

    Nobody on this matter?

    marco.sambin@poste.it (Marco) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi to everybody.
    >
    > I have quite a simple question: the standard DICOM Dictionary (PS 3.6)
    > lists all standard DICOM data elements, with their tags (group number,
    > element number), names, VRs and VMs.
    >
    > While there are many different data elements in the standard DICOM
    > dictionary, there are only a few Groups (i.e., different group
    > numbers). Is there a place in the DICOM standard where each different
    > tag group is assigned a name or a textual description? For instance,
    > is there an "official" name for the DICOM group (0008,*)?
    >
    > Thank you and best regards,
    >
    > Marco.

  3. Re: Name of DICOM tag Groups

    DICOM groups are a legacy matter. The various attributes were divided
    in groups with a given meaning in the ACR-NEMA 1.0 and 2.0 standards
    (the "grandfather" and "father" of DICOM: that's why at the beginning
    it was called "DICOM 3.0", now the "3.0" is no more used).

    For example, group (0008, *) was called "Identifying Information", etc.
    If you really want to see the names of the groups the only way is to
    find a copy of ACR-NEMA 2.0. But I think it's useless. Nowadays the WG6
    people put the various new attributes in a given group at their free
    choice, probably just looking where similar older attributes are.

    Regards.

    Luigi Pampana-Biancheri
    Esaote S.p.A. - Genova - Italy
    E-mail: luigi.pampana@REMOVETHISesaote.com

  4. Re: Name of DICOM tag Groups

    Luigi,

    thanks a lot for your answer, which is quite illuminating.

    The only reason why I would like to associate a textual description
    with a group number is that I am developing a custom DICOM application
    where the user may select DICOM attributes from the entire DICOM
    dictionary, and I wanted to provide a categorization which made the
    selection process simpler by a human. The first categorization that
    came to my mind was by DICOM group: still, assigning to each group
    only a "group number" may be meaningless for most users, hence I
    wanted to provide a meaningful "group description" for each group.

    Comments are appreciated.

    Regards,

    Marco.

    luigipb@hotmail.com wrote in message news:<1108752128.504375.243160@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>...
    > DICOM groups are a legacy matter. The various attributes were divided
    > in groups with a given meaning in the ACR-NEMA 1.0 and 2.0 standards
    > (the "grandfather" and "father" of DICOM: that's why at the beginning
    > it was called "DICOM 3.0", now the "3.0" is no more used).
    >
    > For example, group (0008, *) was called "Identifying Information", etc.
    > If you really want to see the names of the groups the only way is to
    > find a copy of ACR-NEMA 2.0. But I think it's useless. Nowadays the WG6
    > people put the various new attributes in a given group at their free
    > choice, probably just looking where similar older attributes are.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Luigi Pampana-Biancheri
    > Esaote S.p.A. - Genova - Italy
    > E-mail: luigi.pampana@REMOVETHISesaote.com