Exams larger than media - DICOM

This is a discussion on Exams larger than media - DICOM ; Hi, I wonder if there's some work in progress regarding handeling of exams larger than available medias? Today, it's quite common that a single CT exam exceeds the 700-800 MB that can be burned on CD. And a patient may ...

  1. Exams larger than media

    Hi,

    I wonder if there's some work in progress regarding handeling of exams
    larger than available medias?

    Today, it's quite common that a single CT exam exceeds the 700-800 MB
    that can be burned on CD. And a patient may have multiple exams of that
    size that makes even a DVD too small.

    Is it possible (or has it been considered) according to the standard to
    give references to multiple medias (CDs) within the DICOMDIR? (generate
    a suite of CDs/DVDs that's referenced from DICOMDIR on disc #1.)

    Or is the only clean solution to manually create a number of discs,
    each with it's own DICOMDIR? This may be quite time consuming in the
    worst case scenario.

    Probably not the hottest topic in this group this week, but still
    interesting.

    Thanks,

    Anders

  2. Re: Exams larger than media

    Anders wrote:
    > Is it possible (or has it been considered) according to the standard to
    > give references to multiple medias (CDs) within the DICOMDIR? (generate
    > a suite of CDs/DVDs that's referenced from DICOMDIR on disc #1.)

    Nothing of this is handled in the standard. The only "clean" solution
    would be to create multiple media with separate DICOMDIRs, or to use
    a storage medium with larger capacity. DICOM does support DVD-R
    and that should be sufficient for a while, unless you start archiving
    functional MR studies.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg

  3. Re: Exams larger than media

    Hi Marco & Anders

    You are right Marco.

    But when one generates separate CDs with one DICOMDIR on each medium,
    and that you have a KOSD/KIN or a SR object on a CD that references
    data located on another one, it's not really convenient for the reader
    :-)
    DVD burning would then be the best solution to handle this.

    Have a nice day

    Gilles

    Marco Eichelberg wrote in message news:...
    > Anders wrote:
    > > Is it possible (or has it been considered) according to the standard to
    > > give references to multiple medias (CDs) within the DICOMDIR? (generate
    > > a suite of CDs/DVDs that's referenced from DICOMDIR on disc #1.)

    > Nothing of this is handled in the standard. The only "clean" solution
    > would be to create multiple media with separate DICOMDIRs, or to use
    > a storage medium with larger capacity. DICOM does support DVD-R
    > and that should be sufficient for a while, unless you start archiving
    > functional MR studies.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marco Eichelberg

+ Reply to Thread