Looking for a Quick VM (PN) formatting clarification (component groups) - DICOM

This is a discussion on Looking for a Quick VM (PN) formatting clarification (component groups) - DICOM ; Hello, I'm just looking for a quick verification on what I originally thought was not allowed. However comparing Part 6 to Part 5 and some communication with comrades of the DICOM realm my beliefs are left open. I'll use the ...

  1. Looking for a Quick VM (PN) formatting clarification (component groups)

    Hello,

    I'm just looking for a quick verification on what I originally thought
    was not allowed. However comparing Part 6 to Part 5 and some
    communication with comrades of the DICOM realm my beliefs are left
    open.

    I'll use the DICOM tag (0008,1050) in the example. In Part 6 this tag
    name "Performing Physicians Name" has a VR of "PN" and a VM of (1-n).
    Heading over to Part 5 to read the encoding rules for a VR of "PN"
    states.

    The character code
    5CH (the BACKSLASH "\" in ISO-IR 6) shall
    not be present, as it is used as the delimiter
    between values in multiple valued data
    elements.

    What has confused me is the "multiple valued data elements". Part 6
    states that the VM is (1-n). At first I believed the (1-n) was because
    of the possibility that 3 component groups may be used, (single-byte
    character representation, ideographic, and/or phonetic). My confusion
    arrives with the belief that the backslash might be used to put
    multiple names in one component group (such as the first group of
    single-byte characters) before separating the group with an = character
    from the other two.

    What makes me side with the first belief (no backslash at all) is the
    limit of 64 characters per component group. With that said, you would
    need two somewhat shorter Patient Names to be legal for using a
    backslash in the first component group separator.

    Lets pretend that the last^first^middle^prefix^suffix below is 64
    characters. As defined in Part 5, a component group shall be 64
    characters maximum (is that representing the 3 component groups?) Is
    the example below legal?

    last^first^middle^prefix^suffix\last2^first2^middl e2^prefix2^suffix2\last3^first3^middle3^prefix3^su ffix3
    = ideographic_stuff = phonetic_stuff

    Any comments appreciated.. Completely open minded and just looking for
    a clarification Thanks!

  2. Re: Looking for a Quick VM (PN) formatting clarification (component groups)

    A quick follow-up after sitting down to review this longer I think the
    following would make sense and be legal:

    last^64total^characters=ideographic_stuff=phonetic _stuff \
    last2^64total2^characters2=ideographic_stuff2=phon etic_stuff2 \
    last3^64total3^characters3=ideographic_stuff3=phon etic_stuff3

    The 3 component groups are separated by a backslash. And being that the
    ideographic and phonetic groups are optional one could get a person
    name (with a VM of 1-n) that looks like this:

    last^first\last2^first2

    and that would be perfectly legal. Is this correct?

  3. Re: Looking for a Quick VM (PN) formatting clarification (component groups)

    User wrote:
    > A quick follow-up after sitting down to review this longer I think

    the
    > following would make sense and be legal:
    >

    > last^64total^characters=ideographic_stuff=phonetic _stuff \
    > last2^64total2^characters2=ideographic_stuff2=phon etic_stuff2 \
    > last3^64total3^characters3=ideographic_stuff3=phon etic_stuff3
    >
    > The 3 component groups are separated by a backslash. And being that

    the
    > ideographic and phonetic groups are optional one could get a person
    > name (with a VM of 1-n) that looks like this:
    >
    > last^first\last2^first2
    >
    > and that would be perfectly legal. Is this correct?

    Yes, I believe your two examples here are correct.

    A rewrite of the verbage for PN would be good, everyone is confused by
    PN the first time they encounter it.

    Clare

+ Reply to Thread