how to find a study with no studyID - DICOM

This is a discussion on how to find a study with no studyID - DICOM ; I can use the following command to list two studies for one patient: findscu -aet AE_title -P -k 0008,0052=STUDY -k '0010,0020=patient_ID' -k 0020,0010 dialdbserver 4440 and the results are as below. As you can see, one Study does NOT have ...

  1. how to find a study with no studyID

    I can use the following command to list two studies for one patient:

    findscu -aet AE_title -P -k 0008,0052=STUDY -k '0010,0020=patient_ID'
    -k 0020,0010 dialdbserver 4440

    and the results are as below. As you can see, one Study does NOT have a
    studyID.
    (0020,0010) SH [135 ] # 4, 1 StudyID
    (0020,0010) SH (no value available) # 0, 0 StudyID

    Then how to find all images for the Study with no studyID. Apparently
    the following command doesn't work, instead, it will give me all the
    images for both study.
    findscu -aet AE_title -P -k 0008,0052=STUDY -k '0010,0020=patient_ID'
    -k '0020,0010=' dialdbserver 4440

    Thanks

    Jie Huang

  2. Re: how to find a study with no studyID

    Jie

    Not all modalities produce values for study id. Typically CT and MR
    scanners do. Many other modalities dont. Study ID harks back to the
    days when your MR or CT scanner and console were your PACS.

    There wasn't a RIS or other pesky external system generating IDs that
    had to be entered into the modality which would be used to identify
    the study (e.g Accesion No, or Request Procedure ID) Study ID has an
    importance in QR model mainly because people who were used to referring
    to the study by the modality generated Study ID wanted to have it
    preserved by the PACS but has little significance in a modern DICOM
    environment where identifiers from cross linked HIS & RIS systems are
    integrated with the modality through the MWL and used to tie the
    report to the images.
    If the modality doesn't generate a study id, there wont be a value for
    the pacs to provide You can't uniquely match to a blank or null value
    since the null valued attribute in a match key is the specification for
    universal matching.

    Didn't really follow your question about why you get all the images
    from both studies listed (perhaps you intended to mean
    0008,0052=IMAGE?) in which case you would get all images that matched
    only to the patient ID because the null value for Study ID does a
    universal match. If you get images from both studies, it also shows
    your SCP dialdbserver doesn't truly support the hierarchical model and
    is in fact a closet relational modeler, since it allowed the query to
    span across two different studies down to the image level WITHOUT
    requiring UNIQUE keys at the Study and Series levels

  3. Re: how to find a study with no studyID

    Hi, Eric:

    Thanks for the information. For my original post, the second query
    should be 008,0052=IMAGE. Also, now I am using StudyUID to query study
    specific images.

    Jie

  4. Re: how to find a study with no studyID

    HI,
    Does modality gets Study ID from SCP(RIS) in response to Modality
    worklist query. I checked PS 3.4 page 258. study ID is not present,
    Study Instance UID is present. In this case , modality supposed to
    generate Study ID or not? If it generates, some other modality might
    get the same Study Instance UID from MWL(RIS) ( e.g Patient ordered for
    many steps(CT,MR) under same study), in this case CT and MR generates
    its own study ID for one Study Instance UID. How this situtaion is
    avoided or is this a valid in DICOM?

+ Reply to Thread