Converting a single .dcm file to a dicomdir fileset - DICOM

This is a discussion on Converting a single .dcm file to a dicomdir fileset - DICOM ; Our customers think that if I simply convert a .dcm file that contains a lossless encoded XA movie to a dicomdir fileset they'll be able to view the images with more viewers -- there are very few viewers that can ...

  1. Converting a single .dcm file to a dicomdir fileset

    Our customers think that if I simply convert a .dcm file that contains a
    lossless encoded XA movie to a dicomdir fileset they'll be able to view the
    images with more viewers -- there are very few viewers that can show
    the .dcm file.

    I'm not sure whether they're right, or whether I'd need to do more
    conversion along the way, but I am searching for a java-based tool to do a
    simple conversion automatically to give me a chance at testing the
    assumptions. But I'm turning up a blank -- does such a conversion tool
    exist at all?

    --
    Boudewijn Rempt | "Geef mij maar zuurtjes."
    http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi

  2. Re: Converting a single .dcm file to a dicomdir fileset

    Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
    > Our customers think that if I simply convert a .dcm file that contains a
    > lossless encoded XA movie to a dicomdir fileset they'll be able to view the
    > images with more viewers -- there are very few viewers that can show
    > the .dcm file.

    This may very well be the case because many viewers, especially for
    cardiac XA movies, have been designed mainly for reading DICOM CDs
    which always contain a DICOMDIR.

    > I'm not sure whether they're right, or whether I'd need to do more
    > conversion along the way, but I am searching for a java-based tool to do a
    > simple conversion automatically to give me a chance at testing the
    > assumptions. But I'm turning up a blank -- does such a conversion tool
    > exist at all?

    I cannot speak about a Java tool, but the "dcmmkdir" tool from OFFIS
    DCMTK will certainly do the job. Download at ttp://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk

    PS: Before creating a DICOMDIR, make sure your DICOM XA file has a file
    name that conforms to the restrictions the DICOM standard defines for
    most storage media, i.e. max. 8 characters for the name, no extension,
    only A-Z, 0-9 and underscore in the name.

    Regards,
    Marco Eichelberg
    OFFIS

  3. Re: Converting a single .dcm file to a dicomdir fileset

    Marco Eichelberg wrote:

    > I cannot speak about a Java tool, but the "dcmmkdir" tool from OFFIS
    > DCMTK will certainly do the job. Download at ttp://dicom.offis.de/dcmtk

    Thanks -- I'll be experimenting with that right away!

    --
    Boudewijn Rempt

+ Reply to Thread