Any WADO web viewers available? - DICOM

This is a discussion on Any WADO web viewers available? - DICOM ; With the adoption of the new DICOM standard (WADO) for providing images to the EMR, does anyone know the availability of WADO compliant web viewers? Any open source? FYI: WADO = Web Access to DICOM persistent Objects and is Part ...

  1. Any WADO web viewers available?

    With the adoption of the new DICOM standard (WADO) for providing images
    to the EMR, does anyone know the availability of WADO compliant web
    viewers? Any open source?

    FYI:
    WADO = Web Access to DICOM persistent Objects and is Part 18 of the
    DICOM standard

    Thanks in advance,
    Tim

  2. Re: Any WADO web viewers available?

    Tim OConnor wrote:
    > With the adoption of the new DICOM standard (WADO) for providing

    images
    > to the EMR, does anyone know the availability of WADO compliant web
    > viewers? Any open source?
    >
    > FYI:
    > WADO = Web Access to DICOM persistent Objects and is Part 18 of the
    > DICOM standard
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tim

  3. Re: Any WADO web viewers available?

    Tim OConnor wrote:
    > With the adoption of the new DICOM standard (WADO) for providing

    images
    > to the EMR, does anyone know the availability of WADO compliant web
    > viewers? Any open source?
    >
    > FYI:
    > WADO = Web Access to DICOM persistent Objects and is Part 18 of the
    > DICOM standard
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tim

    GE's Centricity Enterprise Web supports WADO. But it's not free!
    Marcel.

  4. Re: Any WADO web viewers available?

    Tim OConnor wrote:
    > With the adoption of the new DICOM standard (WADO) for providing

    images
    > to the EMR, does anyone know the availability of WADO compliant web
    > viewers? Any open source?
    >
    > FYI:
    > WADO = Web Access to DICOM persistent Objects and is Part 18 of the
    > DICOM standard
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tim

    I doubt WADO compliance or web SSL built in access but, MYFreePacs may
    offer something in the way of introduction to WADO-like software which
    is avaiable but not open source.
    DDorsey

  5. Re: Any WADO web viewers available?

    > With the adoption of the new DICOM standard (WADO) for providing images
    > to the EMR, does anyone know the availability of WADO compliant web
    > viewers? Any open source?

    Hy,

    As WADO is to provide WEB access to dicom object, I understand
    that ANY web browser could render the data. That is the purpose of
    WADO to convert DICOM images to something displayable by any
    browser like JPG, PNG, for images, XML for Structured Report etc.

    The only thing you need to know is where to point your broser and
    which parameter to use for displaying what you want.

    Jean-Luc

    > FYI:
    > WADO = Web Access to DICOM persistent Objects and is Part 18 of the
    > DICOM standard
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tim

  6. Re: Any WADO web viewers available?

    Want to both agree and disagree that any web browser can be a viewer
    for WADO.

    The question regarding WADO capable viewers in many ways misses the
    point of WADO which is to provide an http/https transport to deliver
    dicom objects from a repository to a consuming application. Since the
    WADO requestor has to know some of the DICOM attributes of the object
    in order to request it, there is really a missing piece. WADO is
    query/retrieve via HTTP, except there is no query; so more accurately,
    WADO is C-MOVE and C-GET via HTTP without C-FIND.

    Anyway, in its most basic form, the WADO server MIME & Hex64 encodes
    the DICOM object into the http stream. The receiving web application,
    seeing the application\dicom MIME tagging on the data stream would look
    up to see what viewers were registered to handle and view data with
    that MIME type. The handling app could be separately launched or a
    plugin. Think of PDF files transported from a webpage. Used to be the
    browser had to launch the acrobat reader. Now there's an acrobat
    plugin. Either way, the browser is invoking another component to render
    and manipulate the mime encoded PDF object. WADO does the same thing
    for DICOM. So, the question of WADO compliant viewers really missed the
    point - its not the viewer, its the web application that can serve you
    up a WADO URL that is needed.

    However WADO also provides tags where the client can request that the
    WADO server transcode the DICOM object into another MIME format before
    transmitting it to the client. So the client (or the WADO URL serving
    application) can ask to have the DICOM image transcoded into a JPEG
    file of a particular resolution, with or without the dicom tags burned
    into the pixels, for the whole image or just a part (there are quite a
    number of options). With a JPEG image, the "viewer" would be the
    browser itself. Although in the early days of the web, JPEGs might have
    been launched as a separate viewer, today no self respecting browser
    would have an external app be the "viewer" for a jpeg. A really
    advanced WADO application could provide navigation controls for
    zooming, panning the DICOM image in a cache on the webserver, and
    providing WADO URLs for image subregions as JPEGS rendered in a
    standard browser. In that sense, the web application could also be
    considered a "WADO compliant" viewing application

    Remember the missing WADO query? WADO doesn't say how the client came
    to possess the DICOM UIDs it needs in order to use WADO to retrieve the
    image in either the native application\dicom MIME encoding or as
    image\jpeg MIME encode. The question could be asked, what Web
    Applications are available to search for DICOM images and serve up
    WADO references which would allow my browser to retrieve them. This
    application would do the DICOM query for me, then retrieve the images,
    then MIME encode them. I could use it to query a PACS and retrieve the
    images to my web browser using without having a DICOM network
    compliant application on my workstation.

    Once you have identified one of these WADO serving applications, then
    the question becomes, how do you actually view those images? How does
    the WADO serving application actually provide the DICOM image data to
    the browser? Does it transcode the images to JPEG images that the
    browser can natively render; or does it MIME encode them as
    application\dicom? In the latter case you need another application
    which you can register on your local workstation as the handler for
    MIME application\dicom. This could really be any existing application
    or could be a web plug in. So, if you had a dicom image viewer already
    installed on your machine (say Efilm, ImageJ, or any of the plethora of
    image viewing apps), you could configure it to be the application\dicom
    handler and viola' you have your "WADO compliant viewer".

    Not really sure which of these questions the original poster was
    asking. I think it was for viewing apps, but nothing about them is
    "WADO compliant". You just need to get your browser mime controls
    configured. Try ImageJ - better yet. Get your EMR to give you a WADO
    URL where the server side transcodes the image to JPEG.

  7. Re: Any WADO web viewers available?

    I would like to suggest RemotEye
    (http://eng.neologica.it/prodotti/remoteye) as a web-based
    full-featured DICOM image viewer. It is able to retrieve, decode and
    display DICOM images downloaded from HTTP or FTP streams.

    RemotEye can cooperate with WADO servers. As already pointed out, a
    specific Web Application must manage the "logic" of how to provide the
    correct DICOM images to the client viewer based on specific queries or
    search criteria.

    Hope it helps,

    Marco.

  8. Re: Any WADO web viewers available?

    Hello,

    I have a small, might me a silly question. What is the basic difference
    between JPIP (JPEG 2000 interactive protocol) and WADO? I can see both
    are available to stream image data over http or https. Is there a
    distinct difference both.

    Recently DICOM WG4 has released a new supplement for JPIP in DICOM.
    That is good news for us; we can stream large DICOM dataset over very
    thin bandwidth.

    With regards
    Rady

  9. Re: Any WADO web viewers available?

    Rady,

    These are some differences I can spot from high-above, I am sure that
    members of WG4 have a deeper insight on this.

    The biggest difference could be that JPIP is a protocol which is being
    adopted into Dicom while WADO is a 100% Dicom breed.

    Another one would be that JPIP allows you to do data transfers under
    various protocols, while WADO is strictly a HTTP/S designed mechanism.
    Wado's clients would be Internet Browsers while JPIP will work _only_
    with dicom-aware/compliant software.

    Another big difference, I think, would be actual penetration level of
    the two concepts in the standard: WADO is a broad, top-level
    specification of an interface while JPIP gets down into the heart of
    Dicom and adds another transfer syntax to the pot., not to mention the
    bunch of tags to be added to 3.6

    WADO is designed also to offer dicom objects in various formats;
    conversions can be performed on the IODs and returned as XML or as
    jpeg's.

    The confluence of the two would be that both specify an ability of
    retrieving portions of image from a larger image but the similarity
    stops there, at least as I see it.

    In fact, if I am not mistaking, I think that WADO would sit on top of
    JPIP making use of the protocol's services.

    HTH,
    ~~Razvan

+ Reply to Thread