Video Endoscopic Image - DICOM

This is a discussion on Video Endoscopic Image - DICOM ; Hi, My questions concerns Visible Light IODs. I've noticed that there is a "VL Image" module within these composite IODs (see section PS3.3 A.32). The "VL Image" module references several tags already present in other module (for example: Bits Allocated ...

  1. Video Endoscopic Image

    Hi,

    My questions concerns Visible Light IODs.

    I've noticed that there is a "VL Image" module within these composite
    IODs (see section PS3.3 A.32).
    The "VL Image" module references several tags already present in other
    module (for example: Bits Allocated is already present in "Image
    Pixel" module, etc...).
    So, what is the idea behind this "VL Image" module? Is its purpose to
    give the defaut values for these tags?

    When concerned with the specific tag of "Photometric Interpretation",
    the VL Image Module Attribute Description (C.8.12.1.1.1) specifies
    that "Photometric Interpretation" is either:
    MONOCHROME2
    RGB
    YBR_FULL_422
    YBR_FULL_420
    YBR_RCT
    YBR_ICT

    Therefore, YBR_PARTIAL_420, which is the value for this tag in the
    case of MPEG2 transfert syntax is not listed. Is it a mistake?

    Regards,

    Georges

  2. Re: Video Endoscopic Image

    Hi Georges

    Georges Le Goualher wrote:

    > My questions concerns Visible Light IODs.
    >
    > I've noticed that there is a "VL Image" module within these composite
    > IODs (see section PS3.3 A.32).
    > The "VL Image" module references several tags already present in other
    > module (for example: Bits Allocated is already present in "Image
    > Pixel" module, etc...).
    > So, what is the idea behind this "VL Image" module? Is its purpose to
    > give the defaut values for these tags?

    The modality-specific module "specializes" the more general requirements
    on an attribute described in another module such as the Image Pixel
    Module. From PS 3.3 3.8.12:

    "Specialization: Specialization is the replacement of the Type, value range
    and/or description of an Attribute in a general Module of an IOD, by its
    Type, value range and/or description defined in a modality-specific
    Module of an IOD."

    The values specified are not default values, they are mandatory.

    > When concerned with the specific tag of "Photometric Interpretation",
    > the VL Image Module Attribute Description (C.8.12.1.1.1) specifies
    > that "Photometric Interpretation" is either:
    > MONOCHROME2
    > RGB
    > YBR_FULL_422
    > YBR_FULL_420
    > YBR_RCT
    > YBR_ICT
    >
    > Therefore, YBR_PARTIAL_420, which is the value for this tag in the
    > case of MPEG2 transfert syntax is not listed. Is it a mistake?

    The is an error in the standard introduced when Sup 42 and 47 were
    finalized; specifically, Sup 42 specifies that YBR_PARTIAL_420 is
    required for MPEG but Sup 47 incorrectly added YBR_FULL_420 instead.

    I would suggest that you go ahead an use YBR_PARTIAL_420 and I will
    put in a CP on this subject.

    David

  3. Re: Video Endoscopic Image

    HI,