using the STUDY UID attribute - DICOM

This is a discussion on using the STUDY UID attribute - DICOM ; Hi all, I wanted to know how to make use of the STUDY UID of a DICOM Image. Suppose I search for a particular CT Image and once I get hold of the image, I want to know more details ...

  1. using the STUDY UID attribute

    Hi all,

    I wanted to know how to make use of the STUDY UID of a DICOM Image. Suppose
    I search for a particular CT Image and once I get hold of the image, I want
    to know more details about the study to which the image belongs. On dumpng
    the Image attributes, I get the Study UID. But how exactly can I use the
    Study UID to get more details?

    Any help on this would be great.

    Thanks, Jyoti

  2. Re: using the STUDY UID attribute

    Jyoti wrote:

    > I wanted to know how to make use of the STUDY UID of a DICOM Image. Suppose
    > I search for a particular CT Image and once I get hold of the image, I want
    > to know more details about the study to which the image belongs. On dumpng
    > the Image attributes, I get the Study UID. But how exactly can I use the
    > Study UID to get more details?
    >
    > Any help on this would be great.

    Hi Jyoti

    In general, you can't get "more information about the study" than is
    already encoded in the image objects themselves, which have lots of
    study attributes other than the Study Instance UID (see the descriptions
    of the General Study and Patient Study Modules in PS 3.3). This replication
    of Study (and Patient and Series) level information into the image objects
    is why they are referred to as "composite".

    The Study Instance UID serves three primary purposes; one is to allow
    recognition that multiple images are part of the same study (have
    the same UID); the second is to allow retrieval of other objects
    that are part of the same study with a query/retrieve; the third
    is to allow matching against the request.

    In the last case, since the RIS/PACS supplied the information to the
    Modality Worklist SCP that provided the modality with the Study
    Instance UID to use, the RIS/PACS knows the correlation between the
    Study Instance UID and the request that lead to the scheduled step.
    However, this relationship is generally "internal" to the RIS/PACS
    and there is no service in DICOM to "get the request" retrospectively.

    Accession Number also serves this latter function in a non-normative
    and perhaps human readable manner for those sites that use it; the
    Placer Order Number and Filler Order Number may be present and serve
    a similar function to relate to HL7 V2.x messages about orders.

    Detached Study Management is not used, and will soon be retired from
    the standard, so don't worry about that.

    David

  3. Re: using the STUDY UID attribute

    Thanks for the information David.

    I am from software background and learning DICOM out of my own interest. I
    had a use case in mind and want to know whether this actually happens in
    medical field.

    Suppose a medical practitioner is handling a particular case of TB ( or
    Cancer or anything). He has the images of the patient in hand but to know
    more about the case, he wants to get hold of similar existing cases to help
    him diagnose his patient. He makes use of DICOM protocols to query for
    images matching with his patient's image. Now will the images that he has
    got from his query help him to identify what problem his patient is having?

    My previous question came out of this use case itself. Your answer tells me
    that just the image will not carry any details of the case study of the
    ailment described in the image. In that case I am just curious to know why
    exactly do the medical people query for medical images? What information
    from the image do they make use of?

    Please excuse me if my questions are too dumb. But answers to my above
    questions would clear some of the doubts that I have in my mind.

    Thanks in advance,

    Jyoti

    "David Clunie" wrote in message
    > Jyoti wrote:
    >
    > > I wanted to know how to make use of the STUDY UID of a DICOM Image.

    Suppose
    > > I search for a particular CT Image and once I get hold of the image, I

    want
    > > to know more details about the study to which the image belongs. On

    dumpng
    > > the Image attributes, I get the Study UID. But how exactly can I use

    the
    > > Study UID to get more details?
    > >
    > > Any help on this would be great.

    > Hi Jyoti
    >
    > In general, you can't get "more information about the study" than is
    > already encoded in the image objects themselves, which have lots of
    > study attributes other than the Study Instance UID (see the descriptions
    > of the General Study and Patient Study Modules in PS 3.3). This

    replication
    > of Study (and Patient and Series) level information into the image objects
    > is why they are referred to as "composite".
    >
    > The Study Instance UID serves three primary purposes; one is to allow
    > recognition that multiple images are part of the same study (have
    > the same UID); the second is to allow retrieval of other objects
    > that are part of the same study with a query/retrieve; the third
    > is to allow matching against the request.
    >
    > In the last case, since the RIS/PACS supplied the information to the
    > Modality Worklist SCP that provided the modality with the Study
    > Instance UID to use, the RIS/PACS knows the correlation between the
    > Study Instance UID and the request that lead to the scheduled step.
    > However, this relationship is generally "internal" to the RIS/PACS
    > and there is no service in DICOM to "get the request" retrospectively.
    >
    > Accession Number also serves this latter function in a non-normative
    > and perhaps human readable manner for those sites that use it; the
    > Placer Order Number and Filler Order Number may be present and serve
    > a similar function to relate to HL7 V2.x messages about orders.
    >
    > Detached Study Management is not used, and will soon be retired from
    > the standard, so don't worry about that.
    >
    > David

  4. Re: using the STUDY UID attribute

    Jyoti,

    To gain general knowledge and answer your questions, I recommend you to
    read this book "PACS - Picture Archiving and Communications Systems, A
    Guide to The Digital Revolution".

    A short answer to your question truly depends on what information the
    medical practioner needs to get from image query. For the most part,
    the image query is used in order to retrieve the images so they can
    view pixel data and diagnose the problems if any.

    Good luck.

    Dominick

+ Reply to Thread