Cardiotocography - DICOM

This is a discussion on Cardiotocography - DICOM ; Hi all, there doesn't seem to be a SOP Class or Modality for Cardiotocography. Does anybody know if there are plans or drafts for such a Modality/SOP Class? Marianne...

  1. Cardiotocography

    Hi all,
    there doesn't seem to be a SOP Class or Modality for Cardiotocography.
    Does anybody know if there are plans or drafts for such a Modality/SOP
    Class?
    Marianne

  2. Re: Cardiotocography

    Marianne wrote:

    > there doesn't seem to be a SOP Class or Modality for Cardiotocography.
    > Does anybody know if there are plans or drafts for such a Modality/SOP
    > Class?
    > Marianne

    Hi Marianne

    Electronic fetal monitoring would be a type of time-based waveform.

    Indeed the General Electrocardiogram SOP Class may be sufficient for
    encoding these, if the constraints on the waveform are appropriate,
    and there is no additional bulk data to be encoded than the fetal ECG
    waveform (such as oxygen saturation and maternal monitoring).

    The modality would show up as ECG.

    There might need to be fetal monitoring specific channel definitions
    added.

    The usual in utero information modeling problems would arise; i.e. is
    the patient the mother of the fetus, or the fetus, what about monitoring
    twins etc. Waveforms make use of Acquisition Context for such things
    and new templates specific to fetal monitoring could be added.

    There is an annotation mechanism for flagging (perhaps automatically)
    samples or segments of the waveform of interest and the codes for
    such annotations might need to be extended to cover fetal monitoring
    parameters of interest, such as contractions and decelerations.

    It would be fairly trivial to add a new SOP Class specific for this
    application if there were sufficient interest.

    Of course, this begs the question of whether or not DICOM is the
    appropriate standard for interchanging such waveforms, but it would
    certainly seem possible, and one could store the information in
    a waveform literate PACS.

    In particular, DICOM is not well suited for the type of real time
    or streaming transfer that I gather is typically used in fetal
    monitoring, but rather to encoding "snapshots" of a particular
    period of time for later retrieval and display or analysis. That
    doesn't mean that the period of time covered by a DICOM object
    cannot be a long time and the object cannot be large, quite the
    contrary, but its size and duration need to be known and encoded
    before the bulk data is transmitted.

    What specifically is your use case for using DICOM for this ?

    David

+ Reply to Thread