No of frames in Dicomdir - DICOM

This is a discussion on No of frames in Dicomdir - DICOM ; How do we know the number of frames in a Multiframe (MF)image in a dicom dir? In our implementation we write no.of frames in the dicomdir. But one of the CDs by some other vendor doesnt contain this tag (0028,0008) ...

  1. No of frames in Dicomdir

    How do we know the number of frames in a Multiframe (MF)image in a
    dicom dir?
    In our implementation we write no.of frames in the dicomdir.
    But one of the CDs by some other vendor doesnt contain this tag
    (0028,0008) in the "IMAGE KEYS" of dicomdir. So we do not know whether
    the image is Multiframe or single frame unless we open the image and
    read it. This can be a performance issue. How do we interpret such
    CDs/DVDs? Is there any other way to interpret MF images? Why doesnt
    DICOM make it a mandatory tag at "IMAGE KEY" level? Answer to any of
    the above questions are welcome...

    Warm Regards,
    Rahim

  2. Re: No of frames in Dicomdir

    Rahim md_rahimuddin@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > How do we know the number of frames in a Multiframe (MF)image in a
    > dicom dir?
    > In our implementation we write no.of frames in the dicomdir.
    > But one of the CDs by some other vendor doesnt contain this tag
    > (0028,0008) in the "IMAGE KEYS" of dicomdir. So we do not know whether
    > the image is Multiframe or single frame unless we open the image and
    > read it. This can be a performance issue. How do we interpret such
    > CDs/DVDs? Is there any other way to interpret MF images? Why doesnt
    > DICOM make it a mandatory tag at "IMAGE KEY" level? Answer to any of
    > the above questions are welcome...

    The basic directory IOD defined in PS 3.3 Annex F does not require
    that Number of Frames be present.

    Neither do most of the Media Application Profiles defined in PS 3.11.

    Why ? I guess nobody thought it was particularly useful, so nobody
    suggested that it be required.

    Regardless, since it is usually absent, your reader is going to have
    to cope.

    Obviously it is not practical to read every file referenced by the
    DICOMDIR just to determine this, so the real question is why do you
    need to know before the file needs to be opened anyway for other
    reasons, such as to display it ?

    David

+ Reply to Thread